Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.17876°N / 114.64497°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 11, 2022
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Overview

The 3310 ft Hamblin Mountain rises on the north side of Lake Mead to the east of Las Vegas, Nevada. An unmarked beaten path goes from Northshore Drive to the summit of Hamblin Mountain. Much of the path follows the bottom of dry desert washes where a beaten path might not be visible, therefore, without having knowledge of the path, a hiker could easily get lost. Eyeballing the map on another website, I had entered what I had thought to be the correct path into my GPS. Looking at satellite photos a few weeks before the hike, I had noted that a portion of my chosen path seemed to go up the incorrect drainage, but I had not bothered to fix it thinking that I could figure out the correct path while on the mountain.

 

The summit of Hamblin Mountain provides the hiker with great views of Lake Mead as well as the city of Las Vegas and the snowy Mt. Charleston (in winter) rising above the city.

 

Wrong and correct path marked.

 

 

 

Trip Report

 

Hike Length: 7.6 miles

Elevation at Start of the Hike: 1935 ft

Summit Elevation: 3310 ft

 

 

 

Drove North Shore Drive to an unsigned road pull-off beyond mile marker 18. No one was there. Started my hike at 6:30 a.m. when it was 50 degrees F. A beaten path was visible on the south side of the road. Got on the path and began to follow it south on the surface of the desert plain. Looking back north.

 

On the desert plain, looking north
On the desert plain, looking north

 

The path soon dropped into a broad dry desert wash which turned into a mini canyon.

 

Mini canyon
Mini canyon

 

I then reached a 20-foot-tall wall. The path in my GPS went directly up the wall. I turned right going into a branch of the wash where I found a trail that went up a slope bypassing the wall putting me back into the original wash.

I could see mountains but doubted that they were Hamblin Mountain. Later I identified them as Point 2655 ft and Basalt Peak 2765 ft.

 

Point 2655 ft
Point 2655 ft
Basalt Peak 2765 ft & Point 2655 ft
Basalt Peak 2765 ft & Point 2655 ft

 

Then came red colored narrows.

 

Red colored narrows
Red colored narrows
Red colored narrows
Red colored narrows

 

At 7:30 a.m., 2.08 miles of hiking and 2290 ft elevation I reached a big split in the wash. There were no signs, but I knew that I had to turn right.

 

Split in the wash
Split in the wash

 

Got into a drainage/small canyon.

 

In the drainage
In the drainage
In the drainage
In the drainage
In the drainage
In the drainage

 

 

At another split, the path in my GPS showed left (later found out that right had been correct). Continued up the left branch of the canyon.

 

Canyon
Canyon
Canyon
Canyon
Northshore Peak from the canyon
Northshore Peak from the canyon
Canyon
Canyon

 

 

The canyon opened. Great views of Northshore Peak and the Muddy Mountains behind.

 

Northshore Peak
Northshore Peak
Muddy Mountains
Muddy Mountains

 

 

Realized that I was going up the wrong place. Traversed right (northwest) and up a ridgeline until I reached a trail where I entered another drainage. Was still hard to say if I was seeing Hamblin Mountain.

 

Upper drainag
Upper drainag

 

The trail went up the drainage, past a dry waterfall that was easy to climb until it reached a ridgetop where the summit of Hamblin Mountain came to view.

 

Summit of Hamblin Mountain
Summit of Hamblin Mountain

 

A little higher, I reached the summit of Hamblin Mountain at 8:48 a.m. and 3.9 miles of hiking. Had the whole place to myself.

Zoomed view of Las Vegas and Mt. Charleston to the east/northeast.

 

Mt. Charleston & Las Vegas, zoomed view
Mt. Charleston & Las Vegas, zoomed view

 

Higher zoom on Las Vegas. Lava Butte seen.

 

Las Vegas, high zoom, Lava Butte on the right
Las Vegas, high zoom, Lava Butte on the right

 

Hamblin Butte and Muddy Benchmark to the northwest.

 

Hamblin Butte & Muddy Benchmark
Hamblin Butte & Muddy Benchmark

 

Muddy Mountains and Bowl of Fire to the north.

 

Muddy Mountains & Bowl of Fire
Muddy Mountains & Bowl of Fire

 

Northshore Peak to the northeast.

 

Northshore Peak
Northshore Peak

 

Lake Mead (2300 vertical feet below) to the east/southeast.

 

Lake Mead
Lake Mead

 

Looking south at Lake Mead and Mt. Wilson.

 

Lake Mead & Mt. Wilson
Lake Mead & Mt. Wilson

 

Lake Mead to the southwest.

 

Lake Mead
Lake Mead

 

After eating and enjoying the views, I left at 9:30 a.m. View east just below the summit.

 

Looking southeast
Looking southeast

 

 

Muddy Mountains, Northshore Peak and Bowl of Fire.

 

Muddy Mountains, Bowl of Fire U Northshore Peak
Muddy Mountains, Bowl of Fire U Northshore Peak

 

Was then following the trail down the upper drainage. Right at the dry waterfall, I reached a group of 5 people who were hiking up. At first glance, I thought they looked old but then I thought that they were probably no older than me, darn! They were the only people I saw all day.

 

Upper drainage
Upper drainage
Upper drainage
Upper drainage
Muddy Mountains
Muddy Mountains

 

 

I was then at the top of the place where I had come up the wrong way. This time, I went down into the correct drainage. With the sun up, the colorful slopes looked breathtakingly beautiful.

 

Northshore Peak
Northshore Peak
Northshore Peak
Northshore Peak

 

Canyon
Canyon
Canyon
Canyon

 

In the canyon.

 

Canyon
Canyon
Canyon
Canyon

 

Sat to drink water and eat before entering the lower red canyon.

 

Red Canyon
Red Canyon
Red Canyon
Red Canyon

 

Red Canyon
Red Canyon

 

Dry wash.

 

Dry wash
Dry wash
Dry wash
Dry wash
Dry wash
Dry wash

 

Exited the dry wash and was back on the desert floor walking toward my car. View of Northshore Peak.

 

Northshore Peak
Northshore Peak

 

Reached my car at 11:38 a.m. and 7.64 miles of hiking. It was a beautiful day with temperatures going into the mid-70s degrees F.

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lake Mead NRATrip Reports