Holy Cross Mountain AB

Holy Cross Mountain AB

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.72081°N / 114.8909°W
Additional Information County: South Kanaskis
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8809 ft / 2685 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Holy Cross Mountain ABOn the route up to Holy Cross Mountain
The mountain gets its name from a cross feature in the east side that shows up to varying degrees depending on the snow conditions. This can be seen from route 541. This peak is a recent addition to the scrambles guide which mentions to try from June on. We found that this is a peak that can be scrambled as early as May depending on snow conditions. In May we found it to be virtually snow free so it can be a good early season candidate for those eagerly awaiting the scambling season.

Getting There

Holy Cross Mountain ABOn the route up to Holy Cross Mountain
From Calgary head to Okotoks via 2 south then south-west via 2A to 7 then 22 through Black Diamond. At Longview turn on to 541 west then follow this to where you park on the side of the road at or near Gunnery Creek or ridge. If you pass a group of Ranger cabins you have gone too far.

The route is fairly straight forward. The first part is an easy hike. Follow the trail (human or animal) that follows the natural least line of resistance to the top of Gunnery ridge. From here follow the ridge north east to the shoulder of Holy Cross Mountain. Scramble up along this ridge keeping left or right of any exposed areas. Once you reach the summit ridge you head left to the true summit. We decended the same way we went up but the guide book mentions a glissade down the east face. This would be a quicker way down but you will need snow for this (•:

Red Tape

Holy Cross Mountain ABOn the route up to Holy Cross Mountain
There is no red tape here that I am aware of. Common sense on most things. No litter and be aware of campfire restrictions in the area. If you park off the road make sure your exhaust pipe does not cause a grass fire.

We found lots of bear scat. Bear spray is advised. We had to deal with ticks as well. A hat with bandanas helps. But more importantly gaitors should you wear shorts.

Camping

There are recreational areas and campgounds in the area. There has been some closures and restrictions to some spots recently due to missuse of all-terrain vehicles and beer. But not to the scrambIe area. I will add this information soon.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
GMJ

GMJ - Jan 13, 2020 8:21 pm - Hasn't voted

A few corrections

A few corrections: The latitude and longitude is dead wrong and shows the peak as being in the Elbow Valley, some distance to the north. The correct lat/long is 50.42247 / -114.63244. You mention ATVs - as you probably know they have been banned in this area for years. Might want to clarify that. The external links section is empty: you might want to remove it or add something.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Highwood PassMountains & Rocks