Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.28030°N / 105.6725°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 14, 2001
Well here we are, year two, try two. We were planning to climb the south face but the weather was not giving us good signs. Actually it was giving us bad signs from early on. One the hike up everyone was on the way down, even the trail crews. Just about every group we would pass would ask us where we were headed. Sky Pond we would reply. When we told the trail crew that we got a sorta sarcastic "Good luck." We had good gear and I was not at all worried about going up to take a look in the least. We were hearing from people coming down that there was a good hail storm up there. Lots of hail. Head down we are making good time when I glance up. Skis? I think I see skis. There is a group heading down and they have skis bouncing around on their backs. We chat with them and they say that the hail storm was pretty scary and they decided to bug out. We are off again heading up to Sky Pond. We run into a couple of groups, day hikers who say they turned around at the falls not wanting to climb them in the current conditions. We trudge on. The falls come into view. "Is that hail or snow?" We have been noticing the hail every where but up higher its really thick. There was over an inch of hail and it looked like snow on everything. Climbing the falls meant having to brush the hail out of the way for every hand and foot hold but we make it up fine. We hike in a bit more almost to the bivy sites and my friend stops. Evidently he does not want to camp in the hail or attemp the climb the next day so down we go. We make plans to climb it the next year. I was sorta tired after carrying that damn heavy pack up and down those 10 miles.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Petit GreponTrip Reports