Kyajo Ri

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 27.90856°N / 86.67045°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 20295 ft / 6186 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The mountain has a fine steep sweep of rock, 1000m high, on it's E face, the one most easily seen from Machhermo village, in the Gokyo Valley. The SE ridge is protected by steep towers, with good rock initially, though the rock seems to deteriorate further up. The NE face would be a hard but fine route to try, though access to the hanging glacier below the face is exposed to serac fall. The S face is just rotten rock and piles of stones. The 'Normal' route (SW ridge) is accessed via the SE col (two steep mixed sections required to get there from Machhermo) and a descent to the Kyajo glacier below. Mostly 55°-60° snow and ice, some serac exposure, with some steeper mixed ground near the summit. Excellent view of the whole Khumbu (the summit is the highest point on the massif that divides the Gokyo and Thame valleys, N of Nanche Bazaar). With good altitude preparation, possible in two long days from Machhermo.

Getting There

Lukla - Namche Bazaar - Dole - Machhermo - occasional trails up steepening valley to NW of Machhermo to foot of E face

Red Tape

Trekking Peak Fee (500USD in 2002) as newly opened summit plus the standard trekking permit. No other constraints (no liaison officer etc.)

When To Climb

Fairly big exposure to late Monsoon clouds - don't go too early on tha Autumn, or too late in Spring

Camping

Yes, but no huts above Machhermo



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Nepalese Trekking PeaksMountains & Rocks