Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 23, 2012 3:35 am - Voted 10/10

Well done...

You sir....are making me very jealous! I wonder how long it will be before I spend lots of time in Peru

rgg

rgg - Dec 23, 2012 12:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done...

I'm sure you'll find a way to get there; it's closer from the States than from Europe anyway.

Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Dec 23, 2012 11:11 am - Voted 10/10

Epic journey!!

Thanks for sharing it!

rgg

rgg - Dec 23, 2012 12:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Epic journey!!

Thanks Bill. What I did on Vallunaraju was a bit adventurous, but I don't think I crossed the line; a lot more would have to go wrong before I would consider it as epic. I'll try to make bigger mistakes, that makes for more interesting stories ;-).

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Dec 23, 2012 3:58 pm - Voted 10/10

...

Some great stuff from you lately, pretty good TR, Thanks for sharing!

rgg

rgg - Dec 24, 2012 4:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: ...

Thanks Senad, and happy holidays.

mike_lindacher

mike_lindacher - Dec 24, 2012 9:34 am - Voted 10/10

this is the kick

i've been waiting for to get to peru. solid work and cheers!

rgg

rgg - Jan 14, 2013 5:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: this is the kick

Well, happy climbing if you make it there. Cheers, Rob.

markhallam

markhallam - Dec 24, 2012 12:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Another good one!

As you say, heading for an epic but fortunately not quite!
And just as an aside, seeing your reference in the 1st paragraph, perhaps you didn't liberate your inner philistine after all!
Bon Noel Sir and all the best for all the ascents you will do in 2013
Mark

rgg

rgg - Dec 28, 2012 7:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another good one!

Thanks Mark. I don't really have to work at it to keep my inner philistine at bay, it's automatic. Sure, mother nature has to offer many amazing and beautiful creations, but mankind has produced some great works of art as well. The Lord of the Rings series comes to mind; a good story, and great scenery ;-).
Cheers, Rob

paulrichard10 - Dec 24, 2012 12:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Lack of a Paycheck

( however they have decided to fire a group of people who worked the day of the happening. )

Hopefully they've not become pickpockets or joined a reconstituted Shining Path! :)

paulrichard10 - Dec 24, 2012 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Seriously...

Great article(s)! I have a friend who lives in Lima and I've been slathering to go to Peru for a visit.

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Dec 24, 2012 4:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Memories revived

I must congratulate you for reaching two goals I realized fifty-five and forty two years ago. In 1958 Machu Picchu was much less visited than it is today. We were allowed to sleep undisturbed overnight next to the Intihuatana (sundial) and enjoy the ruins by ourselves until the tourist train arrived. I climbed Huayna Picchu for some remarkable photographs. In 1971 I descended on the ruins
from the Inca trail and found guards monitoring the tourists and locking them out at night.
Vallunaraju was a lonelier mountain back in 1971 just a year after the earthquake. I and a six-foot-six-inch Alaskan were the only ones on the mountain and we slogged our way to the summit just as the clouds closed in. You can read my account in the log book. Peru is so much more accessible nowadays than it was a half century ago.

rgg

rgg - Dec 25, 2012 11:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Memories revived

I'm glad you liked it, and that it helped you to relive your own travels. It certainly is a whole lot easier to get around these days, with dayly flights to many places, much improved roads and taxis and colectivos to get to the trailheads quickly. For example, including an alpine start, people normally climb Vallunaraju in two days from Huaraz.

In the log, you wrote that you camped around 15000 ft; that's down in the valley to the east. I'm guessing it was at Laguna Llaca, an hour by car from Huaraz. Perhaps the lake wasn't there yet, it's artificial. You can see for yourself, click here for a map of the area.

WillP

WillP - Dec 26, 2012 10:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Great TR, but...

Enjoyable writing, and some great photos, but c'mon. Ropes aren't allowed as hand luggage due to security concerns - the theory is they could be used to restrain staff/passengers. Ridiculous, maybe, but not so much as some prohibited on-board items. So a local, in this developing country in which you, as a Western visitor, appear affluent by comparison, asks for $7 to 'grease the skids'. The alternatives being either leave your ropes behind, or pay excess baggage (a lot more than $7, I'm guessing). The fact that you gave him about $17 is neither here nor there, but you got your flight with your ropes. THEN you make a complaint, as a result of which, 'a group of people who worked the day of the happening' (remember, people in a developing nation with service-level jobs) were fired! Maybe not even including the guy who asked for the $7 (but obviously other people who had nothing to do with it too). And "I'd like to think Peru is a fraction less corrupt now"? And with slightly higher unemployment too. You shouldn't be proud of the outcome here.

But otherwise, I enjoyed the TR!

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Machu Picchu, trouble at the airport and off route on Vallunaraju - Four months in Peru, Part IV' main page