Mountain Loop Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.26260°N / 77.3936°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Park at the mountain entrance lot. Walk a short distance up the mountain road, past the Fire Hazzard sign, which will say "high" even in a monsoon, to the Mountain Loop Trail sign, marked with white blazes.

Route Description


The trail initially takes you up the gentle eastern side of the mountain with trails lined by Rhodedrons and ferns. After about a mile you can take a short detour up a portion of the Northern Peaks Trail (blue blazes) to the Bill Lambert Overlook, then up to the summit on the Monadnock Trail (red blazes). Otherwise, continue on the Mountain Loop Trail along the northern edge of the mountain. The trail switchbacks to the southwest and leads you past the West View parking lot and the Potomac Overlook. You then proceed down the mountains west side past the Stronghold Mansions, which are private property. After reaching the Mountain Road, take a left and go about 200 feet to the continuation of the Mountain Loop Trail, then proceed back to the mountain entrance parking lot. Total distance, 2 1/2 miles.

Essential Gear


Comfortable weather appropriate hiking gear. Absolutely no crampons, ice axes or ropes are needed!

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.