Sunrise Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.26260°N / 77.3936°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive or walk to the East Overlook at 900 ft. elevation and follow signs for the Sunrise Trail. A trail map box post is at the base of the trail.

Route Description


This is an easy scramble for those who are in shape and should only take 15 - 20 minutes one way from the East Overlook. It can take the breath out of someone who is not as fit. I scrambled up these rocks countless times, once with my daughter when she was 5. Take caution on weekend days, especially in the fall as the trail is very busy.
Addendum 4/05: On visit back east I took a short detour to Sugarloaf. The base of this trail has been abused, but fortunately Stronghold Management has put up signs and barriers ~1/3 of the way up the trail warning of erosion.

Essential Gear


Comfortable shoes and appropriate seasonal clothing. I made the mistake of climbing this trail in the winter in steel-toed work boots and came down the hill with a what a podiatrist of mine called, metatarsal periostitis, a bone bruise. I'll stick to my North Face boots.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.