Mt. Washington via Tuckerman Ravine

Mt. Washington via Tuckerman Ravine

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.27060°N / 71.3047°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 3, 2002
Day 1 (Fri. July 26, 2002): We (Mike, DeeDub & Simon) had planned this trip for a few weeks; we would leave the NYC metro area Friday afternoon and get a campsite along the Kangamangus near Lincoln for the night and then drive the rest of the way to Pinkham Notch in the morning. Unfortunately there were no campsites available anywhere along the Kangamangus by the time we got into NH (12:30 a.m.) so we parked at the trailhead for Mt. Potash and set up our tents near the car. Day 2 (Sat. July 27, 2002): Early start, breakfast in Conway and parked in the overflow lot at Pinkham Notch. Cloudy, gray day with limited visibility. All 3 of us had light (< 20 pound) packs with extra fleece jackets, raingear and lots of water as well as a first-aid kit and a water filter. We took the Tuckerman Ravine trail up and by the time we got to the treeline visibility was reduced to 30' in the fog. We reached the top of the ravine and put on shells as the wind was blowing pretty good. Got to the summit at 3:40 p.m. - 4 hours after setting out from the trailhead - and rested for an hour before heading back down via the Lion's Head trail. Visibility started improving when we were about halfway down Lion's Head (it seemed like everyone on the mountain started cheering at that point!). We made it back down to the base in about 3 hours, at 7:45 p.m. Showered at the visitors center and had dinner in Conway. Once again, we 'camped' in a trailhead parking lot because there were no campsites available anywhere along the Kangamangus. Day 3 (Sun. July 28, 2002): Early start again. Breakfast at McDonald's and then drove over to see the Old Man but the cloud cover was too low and then hit the road back to CT and NYC.

Comments

No comments posted yet.