Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.21720°N / 118.6924°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12937 ft / 3943 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Muriel Peak is the beautiful peak overlooking Muriel Lake, just southwest of Piute Pass. The high point is the north summit. Several routes exist: southwest ridge from Alpine Col is class 2; southeast ridge from The Keyhole is class 2-3; class 3 ledges from Lost Lakes from the east.

"The origin of 'Muriel Lake' is a mystery, but it was probably named by someone with the USGS during the 1907-09 survey for the Mt. Goddard 30' map; it is on the first edition, 1912. The peak was named after the lake by Hervey Voge, who made the first ascent on July 8, 1933. (Letter, David Brower to C. A. Ecklund, USGS, March 7, 1951.)"
- Peter Browning, Place Names of the Sierra Nevada

Getting There


From Bishop follow Hwy. 168 west for about 18 miles and turn right at the North Lake turn-off. Continue past North Lake to the campground and parking lot. Take the Piute Pass Trail from North Lake up to Piute Pass, passing Loch Leven and Piute Lake. Once at the top of the pass follow use trails towards Muriel Lake.

Red Tape


The Piute Pass trail has a quota from May 1st through November 1st each year. A wilderness permit is required for overnight stays. Permits are reservable in advance or can be picked up at the White Mountain Ranger Station, located in Bishop, California. For more information, please see the Inyo National Forest Wilderness Permits and Reservations page.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.