Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.76730°N / 118.3725°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11920 ft / 3633 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Nameless Pyramid is one of the lesser know yet still easily accessible peaks in the Eastern Sierra, and offers a number of spectacular alpine climbs. It is a great mountain for the "low 5" grade ascent enthusiasts, and chances of seeing another party on the climb are slim to none. Located right off of Kearsarge Pass providing beautiful views of the Sierras and Owen's Valley, it is definitely something to consider on the next trip to Mount Gould of University Peak.

Getting There


The approach is the same as for Mount Gould. Drive to Independence, on hwy 395, take Onion Valley Road to where it terminates in a backpackers parking lot and hike the Kearsarge Pass trail. Getting off the trail at Big Pothole Lake and heading SW for a few hundred yards brings you to the base of the NE Ridge.

Red Tape


For day hikes a permit is not required, but for in-season overnight camping it is. Contact the Inyo National Forest Mt. Whitney Ranger District, in Lone Pine, for details.



When To Climb


Generally such climbs are done in the summer and fall months, but personally I think it is a great all-year-round peak propelling the climbs to snow/ice/rock mixed grades in the winter and spring.

Camping


Last checked camping was free, but there was a fee for permit reservation (if you didn't want to get one on the first-come first-serve basis).

Mountain Conditions


For road conditions and weather you can call Caltrans 800-427-road (7623) or check www.395.com. Also, contacting the Mt. Whitney Ranger Station, or Visitor's Center, can be helpfull.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.