East Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.76730°N / 118.3725°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 8
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route ascends the obvious crack system in the center of the east face, and the approach and climb are easily done in a day.

Getting There

From Onion Valley, hike toward Kearsarge Pass. Before reaching the pass, head south and approach the wall just beyond Heart Lake.

Route Description

Ascend the obvious crack system in the center of the east face. The route follows a steep, right facing, corner. Six or seven pitches (up to 5.8) lead to a massive shelf, just below the summit. From here, third class climbing leads to the summit fin. At the fin, unprotected, and very exposed, 5.6 face-climbing leads to one of the Sierra's most exciting summits. Rappel back to the base of the summit fin and descend down the north ridge toward Pothole Lake.

Essential Gear

Standard alpine rack. Nothing special is needed.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.