National Park České Švýcarsko (Czech Switzerland)

National Park České Švýcarsko (Czech Switzerland)

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1968 ft / 600 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Českosaské Švýcarsko - Czech - Saxon Switzerland

Bastei rock towers
Českosaské Švýcarsko is an area of two parks the National Park Czech Switzerland (Narodni Park České Švýcarsko) and National Park Sächsische Schweiz (Saske Švýcarsko) separated by the Czech/German border.

The czech portion of National Park České Švýcarsko encompass 79 square kilometres of land along the shoreline of the river Labe (Elbe) in the northwest part of the Czech Republic next to the German border. It is the lowest place in Czech republic by its elevation above sea level. On the border of this area is the town of Děčín. The area around the town Děčín is also called Děčín highland.
The Česke Švýcarsko national park, a unique sandstone "rock town", is part of a large natural formation called Labské pískovce (Elbe Sandstones). Jetřichovické stěny, an area of square sandstones, displays leaks of basalt minerals, and the separate examples of Jurassic sandstones, also to be found along Bilý potok (White Stream), display interesting geological features. The park's relief, which contributes to the local specific climatic conditions, markedly increases the biodiversity of České Švýcarsko, as do the local water streams, above all the small rivers Kamenice and Křinice.
It's region is great for hikers and rock climbers. Here you can find many trails leading through the scenery of the rocky towns, passes, deep gorges and hillsides.

Děčínská vrchovina (Elbsandsteingebirge, Decin highland)

Prebischtor
Pravčická Brána (Pravčická Gate)
Is the largest natural stone bridge on our continent and a natural monument of our country. It is considered the most beautiful natural form in Czech Switzerland and is the symbol of the entire area.

Its dimensions are remarkable. The span of the arch at the bottom is over 26 m, the height of the opening is 16 m, width 8 m, minimum thickness 3 m, The surface area of the bridge is 21 m above its base.
There are well-maintained trails and a staircase diverges to individual lookout points from which we can observe Pravčická Brána itself as well as take in the impressive views of the nearby and far away surroundings.
Admission fee: adult 50,-Kč, child 30,-Kč
Directions: You have to leave your car in the parking lot in Hřensko (paid parking lot behind a restaurant Klepáč) or drive up to the parking lot in Mezní louka (at the hotel Mezní louka), these are the two starting
points for a trip to Pravčická gate (parking elsewhere is restricted). From these parking lots you walk following the red trail

Observation points
The area features several observation lookout – one at the foot of Pravčická Brána and others a few dozen metres above on the surrounding rocks. The most beautiful of all is the view of the dominant features of Czech Switzerland and Saxon Switzerland, and of the far reaches of our country.

Malá Pravčická brána (Small Pravčická gate)
It is only 2.3 meters high, 3.3 meters wide and 1 to 1.5 meters long. Despite that it is really an interesting place to visit on your walks through this picturesque scenery. On the way there, following the red tourist trail, you can also visit lots of viewpoints e.g. Mary´s and Vilemín´s view point or Rudolf´s stone.
Location: North of Vysoká Lípa
Directions: From Jetřichovice follow the red tourist trail to Mezní Louka. On the way there is a sign where to turn to Small Pravčická gate.

National Park České Švýcarsko (Czech Switzerland)
Rudolfův kámen (Rudolf´s stone)
This lookout as well as the Mary and Vilemín´s viewpoint was built by the Kinski family in the first half of the 19th century. It used to be called "The high stone" because of it thrusts above the other rocks near Jetřichovice. There is a very nice view of the town from the top. The walk is marked as difficult.
Location: Jetřichovice
Direction: There is a path with stone stairs at its end leading to the top.

Tiské Stěny (Tisa Walls)
At the edge of the Labské sandstones in the village Tisá where you can find a picturesque sandstone town. While walking through this town you will be surprised by the bizarre shapes of the rocks that will remind you of faces, animals and other objects. Let your fantasy flow in this rocky empire. Enjoy the beautiful contrast between the blue sky and the earth, covered with sand and sandstone colored brown, yellow and sometimes even white. The area used to be accessible only with a guide. but nowadays you can get there on your own following marked paths.
In the 19th century it used to be a messy labyrinth of rocks that no one visited. There was a story about a French nobleman, Leduquin, and bad cruel dwarves told about this place so that people would hire guides. The prohibition of entering without a guide was cancelled in 1918.

Location: Tisá
Directions: From the village center follow the signs.
By car: From Děčín you go to Sněžník and then to Tisá. From Jílové u Děčína and Ustí nad Labem you go to Libouchec and then to Tisá.

Myší díra (A mouse hole)
here is a path leading from the beautiful place, Na Tokáni, over narrow stairs to the "Mouse Hole". Even in the 19th century, a lot of tourists came to master the "Mouse Hole". It is not easy to climb the narrow path up the rock, it will be an unforgettable experience. For the less adventurous there is also an easier way. It is not as interesting, but it's safer.

View from Bastei
Jedlova Hora (Jedlova mountain) is one of the highest mountians in the Lužické mountains. On its peak, there is a 23 metre high viewing tower. There is a wonderful 360 degree view of the surroundings mountains.

Trpaslíčí jeskyně (The dwarf´s cave)
It is not hard to climb up the hillside where Snow White and the seven dwarfs are carved in the rock. This place can be found near the road from Rynartice to Jetřichovice. In 1833 the sculptor Ernest
Wahr carved these figures in the rock. It is a fun game to find all the seven dwarfs, they are not far from each other and they are colored. You find them in the most unexpected places and when you least expect them. It will be difficult to find them all, but you definitely can.

Kyjovské údolí (Kyjov valley)
It can be found in Křinice canyon between Kyjov and a former settlement, Zadní Doubice. You can get a sense of the former castles and mills that were once active in the area. You can also go swimming in the dammed lake or visit several lookouts. Just walk through the deep woods as far as the German border, to Zadní Doubice. The way is criss-crossed by many tourist and cycling trails.

Jeskyně víl (Fairie's Cave
On the right bank of the Křinice river not far from Doubice there is a rock overhang with underground spaces, where in winter, you can find icicles and ice curtains. This place is accessible throughout the year. Hopefully you will be lucky enough to find this icy kingdom.

Suchá Kamenice (Dry Kamenice
This is a small stream where the water flows only from autumn to spring. In the stream, th)ere are lots of stones and boulders and they create a small waterfall. In winter this place is so magical. The water is frozen
here and there and makes wonderful icewalls. The whole place is very peaceful and romantic even in summer when the stream is usually dry.
Directions: The best way to get to Dry Kamenice is to follow the red tourist trail starting in Hřensko. Go for about 1 kilometer and then continue on through the canyon up the Labská hillside where you can visit a wonderfull tourist restaurant with a terrace. Or you can change your direction and from the river´s canyon follow the blue tourist trail leading to Arnoltice.

Getting There

By bus:
Děčín - Hřensko Mezní Louka - Jetřichovice - Chřibská - Rybniště - Doubice - Kyjov - Krásná Lípa

By train:
Horní Lužice, Dolní Slezsko

Red Tape

The park is separated into tree zones:

In the first zone of the national park, visitors can move only on marked roads. The first zone is not more beautiful than any other area of the national park. It is mainly a habitat for animals and plants that are - usually because of human activity - often on the brink of extinction.

In the second or third zone of the national park, hikers can move without significant restrictions, as their movement do not harm nature.

Climbing Information

National Park České Švýcarsko (Czech Switzerland)
Climbing most of sandstone formations is permitted only with membership in the Českého horolezeckého svazu (ČHS) or U.I.A.A (Union Internationale des Associations d’Alpinism) or with the guide holding this membership (up to seven climbers per one guide).
Use of any metal hardware such as camalots or wires is not permitted. You can use only slings, cracks must be protected with knotted slings.
More information containing a list of all climbing formations in the area can be found in the next section “When to Climb”
A list of all climbing formation with difficulty grades can be found here: Rock area in Czech Republic









When to Climb

National Park České Švýcarsko (Czech Switzerland)

Year around you can climb in these locations:


Massifs in zones I. NP:
Jeskyně českých bratří.

Towers in zone I. NP:
Erichova věž, Křížová věž, Malý Pravčický kužel, Stará Václavská stěna, Václavská věž, Velký Pravčický kužel.

Massifs in zones II. NP:
Aladinova stěnka, Fasáda, Hacienda, Mravenčí stěna, Nerozvážné mládí, Pavučinový hrad, Pevnost (Jetřichovice), Próra,
Rezidence, Rudolfova skříň, Rudolfův kámen, Stěna nad ohništěm, Šaunštejn.

Towers in zone II. NP:
Čmelák, Dětská věž, Dietrichův kámen, Divoká věž, Dubový kámen, Giselina skála, Golem, Hezoun, Hladká věž, Horní Bílý
ostroh, Hraběnka, Hradní jehla, Kámen mudrců, Kamzičí hrad, Kamzičí kužel, Kostelík, Kostelní věž, Lampa, Malé Žluté cimbuří,
Malý Plačtivý kámen, Mamutí věž, Myslivecká věž, Okurka, Opuštěná věž, Osecká věž, Ošemetná věž, Pavlík, Pidlík, Poštolčí
kužel, Přední věž, Punťa, Rudolf, Rytíř, Sagusova hlava-Strážce Hrubého dolu, Strážce hřbitova, Slimák, Strážce Kyjovského
údolí, Strážce Malého Krkavčího dolu, Strážce údolí, Tetřeví vyhlídka, Velikonoční věž, Velké Žluté cimbuří, Velký Plačtivý
kámen, Věž mládí, Věž Pavly, Věž Petra Rady, Věž Roberta Manzera, Voldříšek, Zámecký kámen, Zvíře, Železné věže.


Beginning of July till Feb. 28 climbing allowed in:


Massifs in zones I. NP:
Čínská zeď, Dlouhá stěna, Horská zvonička, Ještědská věž, Pravčická stěna, Tetřeví výspa.

Towers in zone I. NP:
Alenčino zrcadlo, Ama Dablam, Babička, Bachyně, Barbucha, Bílinský kámen, Blesková jehla, Bobule, Bratrská věž, Březová
věžička, Bohatý mlynář, Bratrský oltář, Bratrská věž, Brtnický kostel, Citadela, Claryho klobouk, Claryho věž, Černá paní, Černý
kužel, Čertovo kvítko, Česneková jehla, Čilimník, Čtyřče, Davidův kámen, Dešťový kámen, Děti, Dolní hrádek, Döbelnský erb,
Drážďanský kužel, Drahokam, Dschi-dschi, Hlava, Hlavička, Homole, Horská hlava, Hrot, Hrot Stříbrné stěny, Husitská věž,
Jedový zub, Jehla Pravčického dolu, Jelení skok, Jizerská věž (Na Tokání), Klekánice, Kniha, Kobylka, Křinický kostel, Křinický
král, Křinický trpaslík, Koňský zub, Koráb, Krkonošská věž, Kruché cimbuří, Křinická věž, Kulisák, Lemon, Letní kámen,
Leydeho věž, Lovecká trubka, Májová věž, Malá věž Růžové zahrady, Malíček, Malý tetřev, Matzseidelova stěna, Matzseidelova
věž, Mechový císař, Melzerova jehla, Měšec, Měsíční stěna, Mřenka, Náhodná věž, Obří hlava, Oddílová věž, Orlická věž,
Paleček, Pašerácká křižovatka, Pašerák (Vysoká Lípa), Petrova skála, Pevnost (Pravčická brána), Pidižvík, Posed, Poustevna,
Příšera soutěsky, Poradní skála, Postilion, Požárník, Pravčická jehla, Pravčický roh, Pstruh, Pytlácký kámen, Pytlák, Rodiče,
Rozpolcený roh, Rybář, Rybářská bašta, Rysí věž, Říjnová věž, Saská věž, Skalní rodina, Smolař, Smrtka, Sněhová královna,
Sokolí hrad, Soutěsková jehla, Soutěskový drak, Spálený hrad, Sršeň, Starosta, Stříbrná stěna, Stříbrný masiv, Stříbrný pohled,
Stříbrný roh, Stříbrňák, Strážce mostků, Strážce přístavu, Strážce Pryskyřičného dolu, Strážce soutěsek, Strážce Stříbrné stěny,
Strážce Vosího vrchu, Sýrový plátek, Šikmá věž, Špendlík, Tři stoly, Topograf, Trojnožka, Velká věž Růžové zahrady, Velký
tetřev, Věž Bílého potoka, Věž Dlouhého dolu, Věž Gabrieliny stezky, Věž Křídelní stěny, Věž Mostkového dolu, Věž Stříbrné
stěny, Vlasatice, Vodník, Vosa, Východní Soutěsková věž, Vysoký roh, Yetti, Zadní Jetřichovický kužel, Západní Soutěsková věž,
Závojnatka, Zelená jehla, Zelenáč, Žabák, Želva (Pravčická brána), Želva (Na Tokání).

Massifs in zones II. NP:
Buckingham, Čertův kámen, Jarní věž, Mlýnské kolo, Oxford, Pavoučí hrad, Peřiňák, Pohovka, Verdon masiv, Waterloo, Zuzanka
(Vysoká Lípa), Železná hlava.

Towers in zone II. NP:
Bašta Růžové zahrady, Big Stone, Bivoj, Bludný kámen, Bonifác, Borový kámen, Borůvčí kámen, Brontosaurus, Brtnická stěna, Brtnická
věž, Brtnický kámen, Břit, Býk, Cipísek, Černokněžník, Česká jehla, Čtvrtá Ferdinandova věž, Čtyřlístek, Deska na Kobylce, Deštivá
jehla, Deštníková věž, Diblík, Dětská skála, Divoká věž, Dolská jehla, Druhá Ferdinandova věž, Dvojitá věž (Kyjovské údolí), Dvojitá
věž (Jetřichovice), Ferdinandova jehla, Ferdinandův roh, Francouzská věž, Gorila, Hladová věž, Hraniční jehla, Hraniční kámen
(Kyjovské údolí), Ježibaba (Na Tokání), Jedlový roh, Jednorožec, Jehla v Mostkách, Jizerská věž (Vysoká Lípa), Jižní kříž, Johannův
kámen, Kalich, Kaplička, Kastelánka, Klášterní jehla, Kominíček, Koník, Kopretinová věž, Korunková jehla, Kost, Kouzelník, Kráva,
Kronika, Krtek, Křesadlo, Křinická branka, Kulišák, Kulíšek, Kuncova stěna, Kužel Vilemíniny stěny, Kyjovský král, Lahvička, Lebka
(Na Tokání), Lebka (Na Tokání), Lesní duch, Lesní kaple, Lidožrout, Listopadová věž, Loupežník (Vysoká Lípa), Loupežník (Kyjovské
údolí), Lužická věž, Lucinka, Maják (Na Tokání), Malý muž, Malý zbrojnoš, Mamut, Mariina věž, Manželská věž, Martinova věž,
Medvědice, Medvědí kámen, Medvědí zátiší, Meloun, Měsíční kámen, Mlynařík, Mlýnská věž, Mlýnský kámen, Müllerova věž, Nahodilá
věž, Napoleon, Němý svědek, Nová věž (Jetřichovice), Nová věž (Kyjovské údolí), Orlí věž, Pachole (Kyjovské údolí), Pachole (Vysoká
Lípa), Paroh, Pašerák (Kyjovské údolí), Převislá věž, Poslední Ferdinandova věž, První Ferdinandova věž, Pytel, Rákosník, Rohlík,
Rosnička, Rozporová věž, Řádný občan, Říjnová jehla, Sakráček, Schovaný kužel, Skoba, Skylla, Slon, Soutěsková vyhlídka, Soví
hnízdo, Spící ještěr, Společná věž, Srbská věž, Střílna, Stolička, Strážce Žabího rohu, Strážce Jehly, Strážce Klenotnice, Strážce Pětidomí,
Strážce Temného dolu, Strážní věž, Svíčka, Šerchán, Šerif, Švihák lázeňský, Temný kámen, Tlustá paní, Tlustá teta, Třetí Ferdinandova
věž, Tokáňská jehla, Tokáňská skříň, Tokáňská věž, Trojče, Tuláček, Tunelová věž, Tuplák, Tykadlo, Varta na Kobylce, Velbloudí věž,
Velká medvědice, Velký muž, Věž Pryskyřičného dolu, Věž Tadeáše Haenkeho, Vlčí doupě, Vlk, Volská stěna, Volská věž, Volský
kužel, Vosí věž, Vůl, Vyhlídka, Zadní kužel, Zámecká věž, Západní špička, Zátiší, Zelená věž, Zelený Jindřich, Zelený roh, Zpustlý
kastelán, Zuzanka (Jetřichovice), Zvon, Železná věž

Camping

The closest camps:
Mezní Louka is located by Hřensko
Address:Hřensko, Mezní Louka, 407 17
Telephone: 412 554 084
Mezní Louka

Česká brána is located in Stará Oleška, 40502 Decín
Česká brána

Tourist information collected from following websites

ceskosaske-svycarsko
National Park České Švýcarsko

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.