North Ridge from Mount Jasper

North Ridge from Mount Jasper

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.98280°N / 105.685°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This easier route is the easiest way to hike from Mount Jasper to the summit of Point 12,660 (12,695) This route ascends the ridge from Jasper to Point 12,660 and there are great views all along the ridge. The access to this route is from any of the routes up to the top of Mount Jasper.
Roundtrip from Mount Jasper, it is 1.6 miles and 900 vertical feet of elevation gain.

Getting There

Follow any of the routes up Jasper to the summit of that peak. From there, the Point 12,660 is only 0.8 miles away from the summit of Jasper.

Route Description

From the summit of Mount Jasper, turn south and hike down the 600 vertical foot high ridge to the gentle saddle between the two peaks. Looking east, there is a great view of Storm Gulch, and Upper Storm Lake can be frozen until late summer, if not the whole year.
Storm Gulch
From the saddle continue up the gentle ridge towards the summit blocks of of Point 12,660. The summit blocks require a little bit of class 2+ to climb them, but after a short time, you will hit the summit of Point 12,660. To return, you must retrace your route back over Jasper.

Essential Gear

Because there is a variety of route up Mount Jasper, the gear may be defferent if you climb up a snow route, or if you hike up.

Red Tape

There is no fee required to dayhike this route and area, but a fee is required to backpack in the area, but I would not recommend it above treeline as it can be very windy in this area.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.