Calidris

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Calidris
Manufacturer Petzl
Page By geoffcasey
Page Type Aug 8, 2002 / Aug 8, 2002
Object ID 439
Hits 3335
Vote
"The Patented Delta System -

Petzl's has introduced a distinctive and innovative new leg-loop design, the Delta System. The lower edge of each leg loop is circular, while the upper edge is oval with a tensioned contour that creates an even weight distribution across the entire area of contact with the thighs. This unique ergonomic design not only enhances comfort by ensuring even pressure, but also improves freedom of movement through a better fit.



Patented Double Back Buckles-

Incredibly easy to adjust, the Double-Back buckles offer an extra margin of safety over traditional buckles because they don't require back threading -- a feature really appreciated by climbing- and ropes-course instructors or by anyone who might inadvertently forget to back-thread a regular buckle.



Fast Forward gear loops-

Designed for quick and easy access, these sturdy molded nylon gear loops stand clear of the harness and use gravity to keep gear and draws within easy reach.



Twin-Air Waist Belt-

A wide, comfortable belt, designed with two supportive strips of padded webbing, offers, great support with maximum ventilation and minimum weight.



New Micro-vent Padding-

Developed expressly for Petzl, Micro-vent padding combines a highly ventilated foam and special breathable laminates offering unrivaled support, durability, and breathability"



Reviews


Viewing: 1-4 of 4

geoffcasey - Aug 8, 2002 5:04 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I used a BD BOD harness for a long time, which is great for under a pack waist belt, but found that it didn't meet my comfort needs.



The Caladris is really comfortable and the innoative buckle system makes it really easy to take on and off and the whole thing stays centered. The gear loops are rigid which keeps my gear fairly untangled.



No haul loop, which can be a slight bummer.



Regarding the compact-ness, I have found that thought is doesn't get as small as others, if you fold it nicely it gets pretty flat and stays un-tangled.



I have spent long days hanging in this harness, and it was always comfy.

Bronco - Jan 6, 2003 4:22 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
The harness is comfortable enough for my fat ass to survive hanging belays and multiple falls (nice and wide waist belt to support your back). I found sizing to be a little off, (bigger waist and smaller leg loops) as in the summer I almost can't get the waist belt tight enough and almost can't get the leg loops big enough when wearing winter gear, so consider that if you are planning to order one. The gear loops are accessable under a backpack's waistbelt and I like the holes for attaching ice clippers, would like a rear haul loop, but, it's not the end of the world.

The color is euro goofy, price is pretty expensive and I had a hard time trying to find a discount. 2 people have told me thier newer petzls have not been durable, but they are dirtbags and probably climb too much. They are fine for the weekend warrior group (like me).

Lortnoc - Dec 6, 2005 5:38 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Excellent harness. Stays comfortable over long periods of time due to the broad hipbelt. The lock system makes the harness both easier to put on (just pull on the leashes) and much safer (no forgetting to rethread anymore). It also makes the harness stey centered.
Gearloops angled forward so that it's easier to grab your gear. They are also usuable beneath a backpack hipbelt.
Sizing is odd, I have the smallest size and had to remove the leashes from their 'guider webbing' to be able to make it small enough, this is no problem when using it though (just as in the picture).

The harness is on the downside rather bulky and heavy. Maybe better used for long rock routes and sportclimbing then for outings where every gram/ounce counts.

redcell6613 - Apr 22, 2010 7:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Sweet Harness
I have several harnesses and I keep coming back to this one.....maybe I just trust Petzl more I'm not sure.
Great harness overall......Recently changed the color of it also on the new models.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4