Crescent 75

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Crescent 75
Manufacturer Osprey
Page By bdewoody
Page Type Jan 6, 2004 / Jan 6, 2004
Object ID 959
Hits 10844
Vote
The Crescent series models are built for the mission of carrying heavy loads comfortably. The fact is, most of us have more than 40 lb. of gear on our backs when we hit the trail. To meet this challenge, the Crescents' ReCurve Suspension fits like a glove and does an outstanding job of transferring load to the hipbelt, saving your back and shoulders from punishment. We offer five different models ranging from 3,700 to 7,000 cu.in. to suit the size of your burden and length of your trips. Seeking a pack that combines maximum comfort with moderate capacity for shorter trips? Look no further. The Crescent 75 shares its capable ReCurve Suspension with the 90 and 110, but with composite for strut material to maintain flexibility with smaller loads. The Solo Excessory with built-in harness is now standard on this pack to provide additional capacity and organization.

-Vertical zippered access to main compartment under compression flap

-Hydration pocket in convertible top lid/fanny pack

-Solo Excessory is standard equipment

-Easy access sleeping bag compartment

-Built-in side pockets



Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

bdewoody - Jan 6, 2004 6:26 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is an exceptional pack! I believe Osprey packs make some of the best packs on the market. The Crescent 75 is the mid-size pack of the Crescent series, and is perfectly suited for weekend and multi-day trips. There is a sleeping bag compartment with a huge zippered entrance on the bottom. It's possible to seperate the sleeping bag compartment from the rest of the bag if necessary. There are two entrances to the large main compartment, on the top and on the side. This makes loading the pack and getting to the hard to reach items very easy. On top of the main compartment is another smaller compartment for storing your small and most used items. This top compartment also transforms into a waistbelt if needed. There are additional strap attachments available if you need to attach even more gear to the top. The outside of the pack is relatively simple, but functional. On one side is a mesh water bottle pocket, capable of holding a Nalgene bottle. The great thing about it is that are two positions to hold the water bottle in. In one position its easy to reach the bottle while carrying the pack, the other position....I'm not so sure, possible for when the pack is not on or something. On the other side of the pack is a small zippered compartment, accesible when the pack is on. Also included is what Osprey calls an "Excess"ory pack. Its basically a small daypack that securely snaps onto the back of the pack. There are three different sized packs that can be placed here, with the largest being 750 cubic inches. The daypack has its own suspension and can be used for your short excursions when you don't want to carry the entire backpack. There are also two ice-axe loops and a few compression straps that can double as gear tiedowns.



The suspension on the Crescent 75 is what sets it apart. The pack comes in three sizes, depending on your torso length and it also has different sized hipbelts. This customizability made the pack fit like a glove on my back. It literally hugs your back, bringing the load in as close as possible. This means the load moves a lot better and gives confidence on steep and exposed terrain. The pack seems to be able to carry large loads without becoming uncomfortable also. I had it loaded down with over 50 pounds of gear on Mount Rainier and hardly noticed it.



One downfall of the pack is the price. At over $400, its one of the more expensive packs. I got mine on sale for about 20% off at a place in Boulder, CO. While the price is high, I do believe its worth it. I'll probably never have to buy another pack for weekend trips, thanks in part to the quality of the pack, but also because I don't believe I could find a more comfortable pack.



I would definetely recommend purchasing an Osprey pack.

nguy33 - Jan 10, 2004 11:51 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I agree with what has already been said. this is an excellent pack. The recurve suspension is terriffic and is what really sets these packs apart. By using composite poles that curve from the top of the pack down to the hips, the pack effectively brings much of the weight off the sholders and to the hips. The tension on these poles can be adjusted by loosening or tigtening compression straps on the side of the pack, altering their effect.. At about 6.7 pounds for the medium size, this is a heavy pack for its volume, due to the feature laden design. The increadble comfort of the suspension more than makes up for this defficiency. If you want a more lightweight pack, check out the Ather series. My one complaint is that I find the design of the head cup poor. After several months of use, i have been unable to make the cup fit the back of my head. Instead, the hard plastic rides up against my neck and can be extremely uncomfortable. The pack is sized correctly so i am unsure why this aspect of the fit doesnt work. Im sure this will not be a problem for most, however i suggest making sure the head cup isnt a problem before purchase. Highly reccomended!

chef007 - Mar 30, 2005 10:08 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have the size up in this series, the crescent 90. I have been unbelievably happy with it; even with the short time I have had it. I have loaded it up with about 70lbs of gear on a winter trek and have only noticed the weight in my legs, where it should be. What made me get this pack (and not another) was the design of the waist belt. It comfortably takes the weight of the shoulders and the reversed tightening system just makes sense (why doesn’t everyone use it). From owning this pack I don’t think that I would ever buy anything but an osprey.

The only thing that I am not crazy about is the mesh side pocket. It is probably there to cut weight, which is fine in the summer. In the snow it collects ice and snow and addes 3 lbs to the pack, it was a never ending battle pulling it off and emptying it. In the end I just gave up.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3