Shadow 55

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Shadow 55
Manufacturer Black Diamond
Page By STW
Page Type Feb 12, 2004 / Feb 12, 2004
Object ID 1005
Hits 4187
Vote
The Shadow is a technical, modular pack designed for mountaineering, light alpine and ice ascents. Durable and extremely light, the Shadow has a slim profile that keeps the pack from interfering with your arms as you climb. It can quickly convert into a stripped-down summit pack by removing the Y-rod and bivy pad. The Shadow’s large capacity swallows up stacks of gear and its ergonomic Y-rod suspension system allows for great support and comfort. Constructed with 210d SilNylon, the Shadow is light yet tough for winter’s harsh conditions. Hypalon daisy chains, ice axe and crampon holders, ice clipper slots and waterproof zippers are just some of the key features you’ll find on this excellent alpinist pack.


Color: Gray


Shadow 55
Weight: 1.56 kg (3lb 7 oz)
Volume: 55 L (3360 cu in)

ALSO AVAILABLE IN 45L

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-4 of 4

RModelli - Feb 20, 2005 8:45 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
FIrst the negatives:

This backpack only comes ion one size, so make sure you try it before buying. It is a hit or miss situation. The pack carries really well, unless you are loading it to the limit. The minmimalist frame does not transfer weight as well as some other BPs in the same class will. However the weight of the pack itself is low, which makes up for the thin suspension. One bad aspect of this pack is that the ice tools are hels by shock cords. One has to trust elastic bands to hold important, sometimes vital tools.



Positives:

This backpack is bomber, it can take the abuse of alpine climbing to short maountaineering trips.

The nylon is very resilient and the interior is nice and clear. Nothing fancy , top loading , very visible haul loops.



It is a nice pack overall and I would recommend it, to anyone looking for an alpine pack lightweight and strong.

travisgollaher - Oct 3, 2005 8:28 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I purchased the 55L Shadow pack , as a light weight Alpine assult bag. I was looking for a pack that would give me room to move my arms around and and have a lot of freedom of movement. The shadow is a great bag and is very easy to adjust even while on the move. It is a fast pack very streamelined and comfortable. I am 5 foot 11 inches tall with a medimum build and would recomend this bag over every other bag that I have used in the past. The bag is durable and will last for a long time. It has all of the bell's and wistles that a serious light weight alpinest would need and nothing more, very simple.

MCGusto - Jan 29, 2007 1:22 am - Voted 5/5

Great Pack...
I got this pack because of its weight/carrying ratio. Although some people consider it smaller (55 liters) for multi-day trips, it is perfect for those people who count ounces and want to be able to have attachments for their mountaineering gear. Gear loops on the back, crampon patch, ice-axe attachments, removable internal frame for summit day, removable top pouch, and good cinch straps on the sides for whatever else you might need (snow pickets, etc.). Another cool feature is the bungee chord on the top pouch for quick strapping of your jacket.

I'm 5 feet 9 inches tall with a medium build, and the Black Diamond packs generally fit me very well. The suspension system on this pack is either going to fit you, or its not. For me, its like a glove. The one thing I did notice after wearing this pack for awhile is the straps that pull the pack closer to your pack will loosen with time while hiking. Part of this, I'm convinced, is due to me packing excessive amount of gear on the outside of my pack. This small problem flails in comparison to the overall performance of this pack.

Fully loaded with mountaineering gear, I hauled this pack up to Shepherd's Pass and Mt. Williamson with nearly 50 pounds and never had a problem. Good weight transfer, good ability of movement with the pack on, and good overall comfort.

On a final note, in regards to the suspension system compared to other packs, you're not going to find a super-padded suspension system on this pack. In my opinion, most of the packs out there are OVERBURDENED with super-heavy, super-cushy systems. This pack is simple, durable, and because it ISN'T overburdened with all kinds of extras, it's weight is under 4 pounds. This is unlike many other packs with similar hauling capacities that weigh 6+ pounds. If it fits, save some weight on your back and get this pack.

spotly - Nov 12, 2008 7:04 pm - Voted 4/5

An ok pack
I found it to be a good size for a 2 or 3 day alpine trip but I usually carry minimal comfort items. The suspension system wasn't nearly good enough to keep me comfortable when fully loaded.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4