Platypus Water bottle

 

Platypus Water bottle
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Platypus Water bottle
Manufacturer Platypus
Page By Moni
Page Type Aug 21, 2004 / Jan 16, 2007
Object ID 1112
Hits 12816
Vote
As per REI's description:

Collapsible water bottle stands on a stable base, yet can be flattened to conform to small spaces and rolls up when empty

* Bottle is made with lightweight, durable 3-ply plastic laminate and welded construction for absolutely secure seams
* Bottle is lined with food-grade polyethylene film that won't flavor your water with a plastic taste
* Bottle is strong and durable-- will survive dropping, freezing and boiling
* Comes with a secure, standard closure screw cap
* Stuffs in a fanny pack or fits in a jacket pocket

Lightweight plastic bottles are sturdy enough to stand up, yet roll up for easy packing when empty. Lining ensures water inside has a clean taste. 1.0 liters. Made in USA.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-12 of 12

Moni - Aug 21, 2004 4:24 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
In my search of doing more with less volume and weight, I tried these water bottles and am very pleased.

They seem smaller, but truly hold 1 liter of water. The narrow waist makes holding them easy. They fold out at the bottom and stand up by themselves for easy filling from a filtering system or direct water supply. They pack well since they'll fold a little when full. When empty they fold up to almost nothing, so taking some extras for use in camp, etc. is easy.

The folding bottom allows you to blow and stand them up to dry out properly between uses.

Although not a wide mouth, the mouth is big enough to add drink mixes, etc. and small enough to drink from without spilling.

I considered the similar Nalgene bottle with the big mouth but they weigh significantly more and are bulkier.

There is a pouch you can get for this bottle. I do think you have to be a bit careful how you pack it as it can be punctured. I am also looking at ways to attach the cap, so I don't lose it.

miztflip - Nov 29, 2004 9:35 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Having just recently started using these bottles I have been pleasently impressed with them. They are durable and I have had no problems with leaking.



The great thing about them is that they take up no room when empty and weigh nothing.



I typically use them in cold weather because they are considerably more comfortable when put inside a jacket pocket to keep them thawed.

Erik Beeler - Nov 30, 2004 9:26 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Just a great simple product. Comes in many different sizes so you can get a three liter size for your pack hydration system or smaller sizes to stick in your parka on summit day.



I have been using them for years and I have not had a single one leak on me. The updated mouth piece flows a decent amount of water and usually does not drip after uses.



When using it with the hydration system in very cold conditions I have found it more useful to blow the water back in to the bottle or it will freeze in the tube and mouth piece before your next sip.



I usually mix up Cytomax and pour it in and the material has resisted taking on any extra flavors pretty well.



My last hydration system absorbed flavors and ultimately died after a couple of years when it punctured. Not a problem these durable containers.

Christoph De Windt - Dec 31, 2004 6:23 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
After using always the Sigg bottles I was happy to find a perfect alternative. This plastic bags are very strong and easy to use. And as already said there volume and weight when they are empty makes that they are perfect for hiking, climbing and backpacking.



Greetz

Christoph

jdstrong - Nov 20, 2005 4:08 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have used this bottle for two years in a row and have not had a single problem with leakage. I normally put the bottle in my hydration pack with the hose and bite valve by platypus. The bite valve is the best I have found on the market.

horalka - Jan 23, 2006 1:59 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I like this system a lot. The 3liter platypus bladder came free with my Go Lite Speed Adventure Racing Pack. Until than I have been using Outdoor Products 2L bladder and in hot weather the water was definitely taking the flavor of the plastic. This is not happening with the platypus line and so I started buying more and more of their products (1 & 2 liter collapsible bottles, different closing tops act.). The tube can be exchanged between the bladders and bottles. It also fits right in to the Katadyn water filter so there is one tube less to carry.
It is very durable, I use it every time we go hiking and that is very often. There are no signs of wear and tear. They also sell some patches so they can be very easily repaired when unexpectedly ripped or instead of buying whole new system before a long track just because it looks little warn and it may leak in the middle of nowhere just grab some of the patches. I don’t have any experience with them though. Maybe duct tape would work as well in an emergency since the material seems to be very smooth.
The mouth piece is good size and doesn’t leak like the Outdoor products. And also is not showing any signs of use.
It cleans very well and because the two openings (on the bladders not the bottles) it dries very quickly too. Even half full it will still stand up very securely.
It is a better alternative to the Nalgene bottles which are much heavier and after using all the water they still take up the same amount of dead space.

skagitteam - Feb 4, 2007 2:42 am - Voted 5/5

The best
The platypus system is really terrific, I've put them through an awful lot and never had a leakage problem, plus I like that you can cap them or attach them to a hydration system. No taste problems, either.

AviP - Feb 13, 2007 5:00 pm - Hasn't voted

I love my Platy
Amazing weight and space savings. No plastic taste. Works with ice cold water or boiling hot water. I've never had any leaks. I replaced my 2x 1L Nalgenes with 2x 1L Platys and haven't looked back. Weight saved = 6+oz.

kwag - Jun 9, 2007 7:31 pm - Voted 5/5

2+ Liter version
It is great and never leaks. I love it for overnighters because it allows me to bring water for dinner and then some extra. Great for extended trips when there is no water for several miles.

mtybumpo - Aug 21, 2007 1:26 am - Voted 5/5

Great Bottle...I Mean Bag...
I have a couple of these and they are amazing. They're light and easy to pack. They also hold a lot of water. A great choice for hiking and any kind of outdoor activity!

tarol - Sep 26, 2007 7:13 pm - Voted 5/5

Goes with me on every backpacking trip
I use it as a water bag - fill it up with water, bring it back to my campsite, then filter or add aqua mira... Usually easier than filtering at the side of the lake/stream. Very lightweight, durable, and easy to pack.

Nslater - Mar 15, 2010 4:42 pm - Voted 5/5

smart bottle
I like these bottles for every day use - not just for backpacking. I always bring my own bottle of water when I go out, but I hate carrying the empty ones home with me. Platypus bottles are great to just fold up and stash in my bag when they're empty. I got mine with a bite valve from Reuseit.com and it's really convenient. It doesn't leak in my bag and I don't have to unscrew it to drink out of it. They're a bit awkward to clean, but otherwise it's a really smart bottle.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12