Trango 3.1

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Trango 3.1
Manufacturer Mountain Hardwear
Page By paule
Page Type Jun 27, 2002 / Jun 27, 2002
Object ID 400
Hits 13455
Vote
Features:

Vestibule has full-length pole for maximum space
Internal guy system
Gated Power Clips at pole intersections
Water-resistant, inverted fly zippers with storm flaps
Large stake out loops accept skis and pickets
Multiple guy-out loops with pole clips on inside of fly for added stability
Large mesh pockets and webbing hang loops keep things organized inside the tent
Generously sized thru-vent in upper canopy, with matching UVX fly window

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

paule - Jun 28, 2002 12:28 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I am very impressed with this tent, as it held up to some of the most vicious winds, snow, and sleet without a single problem. If you are going to put a tent through heavy use, and in some of the nastiest conditions, and need a tent for at least 3 people, then this is the tent for you! I must warn you that this tent is very heavy, weighing in at over 11.5 lbs, but at least you will be able to sleep peacefully after hauling it, unlike many tents that will either fall like a house of cards, or blow away like a cardboard box in a tornado.

This is a modestly-listed 3-person tent that will truly fit 3 people realistically, and will accommodate pack-ratting companions, instead of you forcing them to sleep outside. Many 4-season tents are often hotter during the spring and summer months than a 2-season counterpart, but I found that the double doors and the nice vent / window at the top surprisingly allowed sufficient ventilation to keep it comparably cool.

One of the slickest features is the gated power clips at pole intersections (and locations), which allows a single person to set up the tent very quickly. This is very important especially when setting up in brutal winds. The gated clips are shaped like biners, and you can snap them open and closed with one hand. Once you have them locked, they will not accidentally unhook. These unique features finally put to rest the fierce controversy over clips vs. continuous pole sleaves, not just in ease of setup, but added strength as well.

I have tried the Moss Phantom and the North Face Evolution, which I have to say are BOTH great tents, but for one drawback or another, I returned them for the MH's Trango 3.1 This one is truly the mother of all 3 / 4 (person / season) tents, and is second to none! If you can handle the weight of this beast, you won't be sorry. The price tag may be stiff, but for 3 or 4 people, it will be all you'll ever need.

Glencoe - Oct 2, 2002 1:25 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Simply the most amazingly engineered tent I have ever had the pleasure to use.

This tent is like a brick house. That means it is big, very roomy, lots of storage space and it is rock solid. This tent has protected me through winter gales that were so strong I couldn't stand up outside. I have actually been completely buried by snow in this tent, without it even buckling.

There is easily enough space in this tent for three people and could probably manage four. It makes a luxury base camp tent for two people with tons of gear.

I usually store all the climbing gear for the next day out in the small vestible. I dig the area inside the large front vestibule down about 3 feet making a huge sheltered kitchen. This further increases the free space in the tent and reduces condensation build-up in the tent (although there is a chimney in the main tent to assist with condensation release).

There are many storage compartments and a handy ledge built into the structure of the tent above either entrance.

Any down points you ask? It is heavy. You don't get that much durability without weight. Between 3 the weight is negligible but it adds a lot when divided between 2 people, especially at altitude.

If you need a tent that's built like a fall-out shelter for 3 or 4 climbers or a base camp tent for 2 or 3 this is for you. Perfect if you have to spend a lot of time in the tent. Not light. I don't know of a stronger tent though.

Highly recommended.

noah - Jan 30, 2003 9:22 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Not going to bother repeating what the last two people have said....10 out of 10.



couple of extra points......

* i've sleep 4 people in mine, tight but do-able

* And don't be put off by the stuff sac it comes in it compresses down heaps more

noah - Apr 11, 2003 6:00 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
New for spring 2003 the fly sheet material is also coated with a silicone layer on the outer surface. This silicone coating enhances the fabric tear strength, protects the fabric from uv damage, increases water repellancy and reduces the fbric stretch in wet conditions.

so if you are looking to buy make sure that it is new stock.

Ardvark - Jan 5, 2005 3:24 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
The 3.1 is the standard. On big mountains, like Denali, easy half the tents are Trangos and the rest are a variety of also rans.

It holds up to big winds. I spent one night at 19,700' where the wind kept lifting the tent floor (including two climbers and gear) off the ground, but the tent (well-anchored) held strong all night.

I've used other tents, I've shopped for lighter tents, but I just bought another Trango.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5