Passing Lane + Cool Struttin

Passing Lane + Cool Struttin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.60000°N / 120.7°W
Additional Information Route Type: Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.10a
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Park in the large parking lot for the snow creek trailhead. Just across the road, and a little to the right is Careno Crag. An access trail weaves among boulders and brush, passing several other smaller crags, most notably Purina Crag. Once at the base of Careno Crag there are several routes including some that are a mix of crack and bolts.

Route Description


The first pitch is described is Passing Lane, it's a good alternative to the Regular Route. There is a ledge about 65 feet up with a bushy tree on it. Below and to the right is a crack that ends followed by 2 bolts. This is the climb. Just to the left is a crack with 4 bolts leading out from it to the right. That is the Regular Route. The crux of Passing Lane is the crack, as it it flares inward making for interesting pro, and streneous moves. But the difficulties ease soon and the face climb section is enjoyable. Continue past the bolt anchor, grovel through the tree, and anchor at the chains for the Regular Route.
The second pitch is Cool Struttin, and is IMO one of the finest sport climbs in Icicle Creek. Just to the left of the anchor is a rounded arete that is protected only with bolts. The crux comes around the third bolt, but the entire climb is at a very consistent rating with no big rest holds, just great friction and small bumps\indentations. 8 bolts gets the climber to the anchor.
From here the climber can join the Regular Route, or rappel with a single rope.
Bonus: From the same ledge that Cool Struttin begins from is another sport climb: nubbin grubbin that begins directly above the anchor. This 5.11a climb involves thin reachy moves, and a technnical crux.

Essential Gear


Stoppers from #7-12, maybe a cam in that size or two, 10 quickdraws, single 60m rope.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.