Best non-technical hike/scramble near Innsbruck/Igls, AT)?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
395guy

Best non-technical hike/scramble near Innsbruck/Igls, AT)?

by 395guy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:57 am

Best non-technical hike or scramble near Innsbruck? (Or more specifically, near Igls near Innsbruck, AT?)
Recommendations? Hopefully a nice peak that's class 1, 2, or 3.
This is for summer (July).

I'm considering Patscherkofel, but it doesn't sound too exciting. Is it better to catch a local bus and go for a different mountain?

Thanks in advance.

no avatar
nickw1

Re: Best non-technical hike/scramble near Innsbruck/Igls, AT

by nickw1 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:40 pm

I guess this is kind of late for this year, but might be of use to others.

Serles (2700m odd) is nice. Basically east of lower Stubaital, 5km or so before Neustift. You start at 900m so it's an 1800m climb, largely non-technical but a short scrambly section near the top. Looks like it would have good views (though was rather cloudy when I was there in July 2012). Can also be accessed from the east from Maria Waldrast (monastery).

Habicht (3200m+) is apparently good - same area but further south, with a 900m or so scrambly climb (some snow) above the Innsbrucker Huette. Meant to do that at the same time but weather was persistently poor so never made it.

Hoher Burgstall (2600m odd; opposite side of Stubaitai to Serles) is really nice - more or less completely non-technical but some great views of the surroundings - in particular the group of limestone peaks on that side of the valley - from the top. Again a hut near the top.

Also Zugspitze isn't too far away (non-technical by certain routes)

Return to Europe