A study on rock climbing.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
jrpunk505

A study on rock climbing.

by jrpunk505 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Im a student working on my under graduate thesis at Cal State Northridge. Im distributing a survey to determine

1. Which factors influence rock climbers when choosing a climbing location and how far are they willing to travel?

2. Which climbing spots are most popular?

3. Are there any commonly shared demographics between climbers?

With the data gathered, I'll be able to created a map displaying where climbers live in relation to where they are climbing and which sites are most popular.

Although my research area is California, I'm only collecting surveys from Southern California.

Here is the link to my survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/929ZSC6

Thank you for your help!

sierraman

Re: A study on rock climbing.

by sierraman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 am

Considering the effort that goes into studying American habits, its surprising how little has been expended on rock climbers and mountaineers. Climber magazine did a piece a few years ago and estimated the number of "mountain climbers" is the US as between 5 million and 10 million, a 100% margin of error. Of course, how do you define mountain climbing? I can ascend Mt. Whitney on a mule or via the east face; either way, I'm on top. I will be interested in seeing the results of this survey, should they be posted.

Return to California