Backountry rock climbing suggestions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jrc

by jrc » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:37 pm

I was also thinking Charlotte Dome as I was reading your post till you mentioned 6 pitches. Charlotte Dome is 12 and 5.8. Maybe a little more involved than you're looking for.

The Tuolumne suggestions are good but may not yield the true wilderness experience you're looking for (I'll probably get flamed for that comment).

Matterhorn Peak's North Arete is also an option.
Humphreys East Ridge.
Lone Pine Peak's North Ridge or North East Ridge.
If you're willing to do the hike, Swiss Arete on Sill is 5.8, not too long and not too much 5.8.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Diggler wrote:The Obelisk.

I second this one. Very nice, no permit deal, and considering the snow melt and creek crossings one couldn't go wrong. Enjoy.

late
gk

granjero

by granjero » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:51 am

West Face of Shepherds Crest, 5 pitches up to 5.7 on amazing rock in stunning scenery...

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Awesome, thanks everyone for all the input. It has been a really hectic week and I have hardly had anytime to think about the trip, let alone start researching ideas. This gives me a great starting point and a year+ worth of climbs to check out. I might take the lazy approach and car camp in Tuolumne Meadows and do some day trips climbing out of there so that I can come back and drink beer every night and live in luxury. I am guessing with the campground just opening up around that time, it shouldn't be crowded despite the holiday. Gotta check with the crew and see what they want to do.

x15x15

by x15x15 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:47 pm

there is a cool, little route that goes up mt. silliman out of lodgepole campground.

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 am

x15x15 wrote:there is a cool, little route that goes up mt. silliman out of lodgepole campground.

hmm, that could be good too, shorter drive. Is there other good climbing out of that campground? not sure if I will be able to find a site so late on a holiday weekend though.

x15x15

by x15x15 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 pm

you should get a permit, fly fishing gear, swimsuit, bag and bivy sack and do the hike to twin lakes. it is a beautiful area to camp, explore, swim, fish, or just hang out. bringing a rope and light rack makes it better, and twin lakes is a great base camp to climb silliman from.

there is at least one little route in the secor book that i have done that goes at 5.8, but i have also played on a bunch of other stuff in the area.

Previous

Return to California