Advice for Beginner Traveling the World?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Augustt

Advice for Beginner Traveling the World?

by Augustt » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Hey all, I'm young and fit with not a whole lot of experience looking to build experience and get do more outings. I should find a mountaineering club and/or climbing gym, make connections, and start tackling peaks in my area, right? Well, I'm also traveling around the world I'm undertaking alone (for unrelated reasons) and while I'm hardly going to hit the seven summits I want to get the most out of the opportunities this trip provides. Thing is, it's difficult to tell what is and isn't within my reach. I have no practical experience with crampons, etc., could I sufficiently prepare for Mont Blanc by spending a couple of weeks practicing this on smaller excursions or is that crazy talk? If so, how can I make the most of my time in the Alps? Similarly, does anyone care to suggest any mountains for a beginner who will most likely be climbing solo everywhere? Websites like this are great for but most pages assume a lot of things that don't hold true for me so I never feel confident just from reading online.

I'm in Prague now, with no strict itinerary but exiting europe through Istanbul and making my way to Kenya to see family friends (Kilimanjaro might be out of financial reach but God I'm trying!), taking a boat to India, making my way to the pacific and working my way up South America from Brazil. I don't really have the money for guides and I can't exactly pick and choose what time of year I'll be anywhere; climbing is an added bonus on top of my primary goal of travel.

Thanks!

Return to Europe