anyone from Ireland??

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
giggy

anyone from Ireland??

by giggy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:38 pm

Hi all - I am from the US - but wife is from Swords Co Dublin - I go over once ot twice a year for a few weeks.

Looking to hook up with people (hiking/climbing whatever) for trips - backpacking, peakbagging, etc..

Don't think you get much ice there - but ice climbing as well if you do!

would love to hit some stuff in the reeks (only driven by them - what a shame) wifes family don't hike - nor do they want to!

any hints, local sites, etc...

If ya ever come to new england - be happy to return favor!

thanks

Guy

Bermo

Re: anyone from Ireland??

by Bermo » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:37 am

I live in Dublin, and love the snow. There won't be any ice climbing, but hiking through snow in the Wicklow and Kerry mountains is common. In fact, some mountains are very boggy, and are best during mid summer or mid winter.

Attila the Hun

by Attila the Hun » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:12 pm

I work in Dublin, but spend most of my hill-walking time in Connemara. I'd say you've feck-all chance of getting serious snow anywhere in Ireland. Maybe Carrauntoohil on St Stephens Day - I heard it was fantastic last year, but that was really the exception. Drop me a mail a bit in advance if you want to go hiking in Connemara and I'll see what I can do. Some great hikes there too. I won't be around this Christmas though. Hoping to be in Slovenia.

WoundedKnee

by WoundedKnee » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Hi Giggy,

I lived in Cork city for a year. You'll usually find snow in the Galtees and in the Reeks in the winter, but nothing too deep. Weather can be pretty brutal up there regarding wind...especially the Galtees - the windiest tops in Ireland.

Make sure you take maps up there and know how to use them in the winter. Days are short and fog can blanket you quickly, making it very tough to navigate...

giggy

by giggy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:46 pm

thanks guys -

if anyone you get to come - over - be happy to climb with you in the whites of NH

not high - but nasty weather and good snow and ice in the winter.

markmcgladdery

by markmcgladdery » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:28 am

Hi,

Check out these sites:

www.fairheadclimbers.com
www.mournesclimbers.com
www.climbing.ie

good links and message boards on them.

have fun,
Mark

Return to Europe