ireland - christmas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
giggy

ireland - christmas

by giggy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:45 pm

Hi - going to be visiting ireland (staying in ballyjamesduff, cavan) (visting relatives) from

dec 20 until jan 6th. Lookin to maybe hike carrontoohill (sp?) while I am over there.

I hear this is a big attraction on stephens day?

anyone interested in coming? beers on me after.

I have mountaineering skills if thats needed for this peak in winter - don't think it is though.

WoundedKnee

by WoundedKnee » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:12 pm

Giggy,

You'll certainly not be alone on St. Stephens Day. Although the altitude is not especially intimidating, it can get cold, windy and nasty up there, and visibility can be reduced to nil. This leads to what seems like a yearly fatality for unprepared hillwalkers. Make sure you have a map and OSI map up there.

That said, the area is fantastic in the winter. Make sure to stop at Kate Kearney's cottage for a pint and some grub afterwards. It's a great place to warm up!

giggy

by giggy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

thanks wonded knee - sound like the presidentials (NH) in winter. not sure what I am doing, might stuck closer to cavan and hike or might not hike at all and just drink all week.

Return to Europe