AT Gear Part 2

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
bird

AT Gear Part 2

by bird » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:55 pm

OK, let's try this again.
What would be the ideal AT Ski set up for Denali?

Snowball

Re: AT Gear Part 2

by Snowball » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:33 am

bird wrote:OK, let's try this again.
What would be the ideal AT Ski set up for Denali?

yo bird

i havent climbed denali but i know people that have gone there with the silvretta 500 in spring and another guy that supplied a team that went there with 500s. i own the 500s and some good skis. its a good setup for climbing and ski boots. in use them in the sierra backcountry. try calling The Fifth Season store in shasta california and ask for a guy who works there with the french name who has been to denali. he can give you all the details of climbing denali on skis... i think the 500 is the ideal. there are plenty of cheap but good skis that can mate with them.

also, call Norpine.com and ask for Jim. he will give you all the details of the ideal binding/ski for denali.

david

JedSMG

by JedSMG » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Blog/skimountaineering master Lou Dawson and some of his friends and family are planning a ski trip on Denali for June 2010. He's documenting every little gear choice, starting, I think, a few months back now, on his website www.wildsnow.com

Should be more info than you'd ever need. I don't know him personally, but I've followed his blog for a while. It appears that he's summited Denali in the past (though not with skis) and is the master of all things gear and skiing and mountains... Check him out.

climbxclimb

by climbxclimb » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:35 am

Interesting that my friend Eric is asking this question...because it has been on my mind for quite a while now...
I know very little about skiing, but I am starting to learn more to be faster in the approach to the climbs especially for winter climbing in the Alps.
I heard mixed opinions about the Silveretta from fellows climbers...
My question a bit similar to Eric`s question regards not only the bindings but also the skis.
Firs I will be wearing La Sportiva Spantik Boots, and not ski boots, therefore is the Silveretta 500 still a good option?
Second, what model of skis are suitable both for flat ground some downhill and uphill (with skins)?

Thanks.

Return to Gear