Beautiful SHASTA Current Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
ToOldForThis

Re: Beautiful SHASTA Current Conditions

by ToOldForThis » Thu May 07, 2015 5:51 am

I was on Avalanche Gulch on Friday, and it was nice, no wind anyway. The rock fall from Casaval Ridge below Lake Helen was a pretty nice photo. But, an awful lot of trails crisscrossing the mountain side and very icy when I was there in the morning. I was at Clear Creek Meadows a couple of weeks before for a Sunday afternoon walk and that was nearly pristine. Only a few sets of boot tracks, a couple of snow board tracks coming down the mountain, only one slight post hole all the way up to just above the snow covered meadows and back (really good snow), and beautiful views of the mountain with clouds partially hiding the summit and creeping down towards Clear Creek Meadows. I hated to leave.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sun May 10, 2015 3:48 am

If anyone is interested, here are a few more images of the rockfall from Bunny Flat.

The following user would like to thank Bubba Suess for this post
clmbr

no avatar
Tahiti

by Tahiti » Sun May 17, 2015 2:44 pm

I'm thinking about doing the hotlum bolam route but not sure what the required experience level is. I've taken an ice axe clinic, have been over many sierra passes in snow, but I've never done glacier travel. Are ropes/harnesses required at all?

Definitely would have helmet but no ropes or harness. I've done Whitney summit via trail (cakewalk) and the JMT passes in may but I don't have glacier experience. From what I've read, I'd be comfortable on Avalanche gulch, but don't have much info on hotlum bolam ridge.

clmbr

by clmbr » Tue May 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Tahiti wrote:I'm thinking about doing the hotlum bolam route but not sure what the required experience level is. I've taken an ice axe clinic, have been over many sierra passes in snow, but I've never done glacier travel. Are ropes/harnesses required at all?

Definitely would have helmet but no ropes or harness. I've done Whitney summit via trail (cakewalk) and the JMT passes in may but I don't have glacier experience. From what I've read, I'd be comfortable on Avalanche gulch, but don't have much info on hotlum bolam ridge.

It’s not important if you have taken ice axe clinic or any other clinic. It is important if you can apply those skills properly in real scenarios. What counts is skills and experience, not certificates.

So if you are comfortable with ice axe and crampons and a master of self-arrest, go for it. H/B Ridge is a nice route with views to Hotlum Glacier. You may be even traversing above one of its crevasses.

People rope up there very seldom. There is only one quite exposed point which sometimes may be tricky to cross if icy: the upper Bolum Gully after crossing the ridge to the right (west). The rest, all depends on conditions which should be OK now.

I don’t want to diminish the seriousness of this route but in the previous year I met on the summit a father with two children, 7 and 11, who did this route with no rope. But that is exception.

Have fun and be safe.

colinr

by colinr » Sun May 31, 2015 3:18 am

The speed record took a leap downward toward 1.5 hours! News via Mount Shasta Avalanche Center

The big rock doesn't care. :wink:

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
clmbr

jibmaster

by jibmaster » Sun May 31, 2015 5:32 pm

0% snow pack in the Sierra, the news says.
Shasta is holding!

More pics:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=117443 ... %2C%202015

Trip Report:
http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourturn ... 2015/page6

The following user would like to thank jibmaster for this post
96avs01

no avatar
lesper4

by lesper4 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Going up Thursday for a summit on Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully the weather holds like these pictures.

jibmaster

by jibmaster » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:26 pm

Headed back up. Went to the Gravel Creek TH.
Scroll down past my TR of last week:

http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourturn ... #post28782

All pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/search?text=shas ... %2C%202015

no avatar
fruitflyman

by fruitflyman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Can anyone suggest a place for quick overnight (free or cheap) camping along 89 or 49 between McCloud and Bartle, or somewhere in that area? I'll get there after dark and be gone at sunrise. Thanks!

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:02 pm

easiest is probably take a right on Military Pass Road, cross the RR tracks, then start looking for a pull out to camp for the night.

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Nice pics and TR's Jib.

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:29 am

As of the last week the weather on Mt Shasta was just perfect, well depend on the route, of course.

The trail to Hidden Valley basically without snow. Hidden valley covered with (thin) snow.

West Face Gully: great condition with wet snow late afternoon.

Whitney Glacier: seems to be in great condition. The middle bergshrund still has bridges. I was stomach sick, slow, and did not get on the glacier. The upper bergshrund mostly covered.

Casaval Ridge: A few places lack snow; therefore, the catwalk is easy to cross. Some places become icy and may require additional tool (I would strongly recommend it for more interesting options).

Clear Creek: Almost perfect for no ice axe and no crampons attempt. There is one snow patch to cross somewhere in the first half of the slope. Going straight up the steep rocks from the Red Rock (Mushroom) avoids snow. Going to the right (North) from Red Rock leads to a long snow slope. I would strongly recommend avoiding it without an ice axe and self arrest skill. Flowers, flowers, and more flowers,

The plateau and partial access to the summit is covered with snow.

Being on the summit late afternoon is magical as always, so white, clean and calm and always alone.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:34 am

Anyone been there recently ? Thinking of a one day climb this weekend.. Scott

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:55 am

I'm curious too, thinking about hitting Clear Creek for a dayhike this weekend.

PreviousNext

Return to California