Best 90+ L Backpack Recommenations

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Cosmo1111

Best 90+ L Backpack Recommenations

by Cosmo1111 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:55 am

Im looking for a pack for some lengthy climbs (Denali included). Any recommendations on a large pack.
thanks

adventurer

by adventurer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Take a look at the the Arcteryx Bora 95. At 7.3 pounds it's a little on the heavy side as are many packs in this class, but it's capable of carrying huge loads comfortably. I've had one for years and used it on several multi week expeditions.

punchline

by punchline » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:46 pm

I used the Osprey Ariel 90 on Denali & Aconcagua - sort of a no-frills pack in comparison to some of the others I looked at (and cheaper) - I have absolutely no complaints. With loads of 75+# the hip belt/harness system made it feel almost weighless - well, sort of ... The only enhancement I would have made (if I designed it) would have been to put some sort of vertical/side access system or zipper into the main compartment from the outside so you could reach items at the bottom without digging therough the main "cavern." Of course, that would add more weight. But, if you manage your equipment and pack correctly it is not that big of a deal. Weight of pack is 5 lbs 3 oz. It is several years old and I don't know if Osprey still makes this model. Additionally, this was a women's specific frame so you would probably need to make sure you cross reference w/men's sizing/model. I have two other Osprey packs and like their durability and the fact they are fairly lightweight and a bit cheaper than the other "name" brands out there.

tommarchall

by tommarchall » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:16 pm

you could try the Mountain Hardwear BMG http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Mountain-Hardwear-BMG-Backpack-5800-6500cu-in/MHW1105M.html . I've used mine with little complaint and it's huge. [/url]

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:16 pm

I have carried a large, heavy ArcTeryx and thought it was pretty wonderful. If you can afford it, look into McHale Packs. They are all basically custom built so they fit you perfectly, carry heavy loads extremely well and will outlast any other pack. I had Dan build me a light weight version of his SARC (about the same size as an Andinista or CCW Chaos) 13 years ago and have used it with very good success in the Alaska Range including Denali.

no avatar
zoran

by zoran » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:33 pm

I used Lowe Alpine TFX10 on Mt. Logan this Spring. It's enormous pack (95lit) and it's very comfortable even heavy loaded.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/ ... /6402.html

mtngeek

by mtngeek » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:14 am

I have a Bora 95 (previous generation, which I think is way better) that I absolutely love. Easily carries 75+ pound loads with as good a comfort as can be expected when reaching those weights. It's heavy, but the load hauling ability certainly makes up for it.

I think the CiloGear 75L worksack is worth a serious look. As posted above, don't let the 75 liter size fool you, it's probably approaching the same size as my Bora. Or pick up the Non-Woven Dyneema version for $1,250!!!

I also know others who consider the Gregory Denali Pro as a norm for big packs. I have no personal experience though.

I'm not sure if it's still available (eBay?), as it's no longer listed on their website, but Granite Gear made an expedition series called the Cirrus up to 7000ci that I was pretty intrigued by.

Good luck with your search.

Rinat Shagisultanov

by Rinat Shagisultanov » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Gregory Denali Pro (110L) works really well to haul a lot of gear.

Return to Gear