Best way to see the Gores?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Mountainscott

Best way to see the Gores?

by Mountainscott » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Planning on a three-day backpack into this majestic range Aug. 5-7, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice of the best way to pack as much scenery as possible into one trip. Thx.

Floyd

Re: Best way to see the Gores?

by Floyd » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Problem is the basins are so tight it's tough to get a good "overview."

Are you climbing too? Then, opportunities are endless if you don't mind some rugged passes.

I had some friends see 4-basins on a day trip last October, but that was a little insane. Stretching this to a multi-day tour would be pretty fun: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

IMO, the Ripsaw Ridge is a must see and there is plenty to keep you busy in Piney Creek. Kneeknocker Pass and the pass between Powell/E. Corner are hikable and you could extend the trip with a visit to East and/or West Booth Pass in Upper Piney Basin.

Also, check out Theron Welch's website" http://www.gorerange.info/ He has an amazing video of a backpacking trip to Bubble Lakes - recreating that would be an incredible trip. http://www.gorerange.info/tag/bubble-lake/

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Can you do a car shuttle? If so there are a couple of good one-way trips that visit multiple basins by going over a high pass. The easiest is to go from Frisco to Vail (or the other way, but Frisco is the higher TH so generally done as the start). Start right at the Frisco Main Street exit on the north side and follow that trail over Eccles and Red Buffalo Passes and down Gore Creek to Vail. A nice side trip to Gore Lake would be good.

A little more rugged, but a good one would be to run from Piney Lake to the Booth Creek trailhead. Upper Piney the trail fizzles out and you have to go over East Booth Pass which has no trail and some loose scree. Its the one in Floyds TR link above that lordhelmut and I used. Once you hit the Booth trail its smooth sailing to the car. Nice basins and great Ripsaw views abound!

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:15 am

If you are really motivated for some serious bushwacking, go from the Brush Creek trailhead, then cross country up Black Creek Canyon. If you can do that, then you have a day for climbing either Black or Powell. I personally did not make it that far and ended up going to the head of Brush Creek from Lost Lake trail, spent a day climbing around the easy peaks on Brush Creek, headed down to Lost Lake for a day, then out on day 3.

Dora Lake is also an excellent destination. Either Brush Creek or Dora Lake gives you great views of the range with easy climbing.

BTW, if you do plan to go up towards Lost Lake, the south trail is MUCH easier than the north. There is a lot of deadfall and crossing marshy areas on the north route. South is simple except for crossing Brush Creek, which might be much easier now than it was a few weeks ago since water levels have dropped a lot.

Mountainscott

by Mountainscott » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Wound up doing the Gore Lake - Red Buffalo Pass - Eccles Pass - Uneva Pass shuttle loop (Vail to Copper Mountain.) Trail was frequently sloppy with tons of deadfall that slowed us down, but what an amazing trip, and even more amazing weather! http://www.outtherecolorado.com/photos/ ... toid=52142

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:06 pm

Great! Glad you had a good trip, I was up to Gore Lake recently so I know what you mean about the deadfall! Must have been miserable with a full pack. Lots of beetle kill trees getting blown down these days, kinda sad really.

Return to Colorado