Careers

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Retirement.

grabbs146

by grabbs146 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm a paramedic I work every 4 days

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:55 pm

aahz wrote:I think there is already at least one thread about this topic.

Teaching at the college level works out pretty well for me. I usually manage to get 4 day work weeks and I have large chunks of time off (particularly during the summer) for extensive climbing trips. Too bad my wife isn't on the same schedule. :(

I agree. I am currently teaching night classes 4 nights a week. Leaves me mornings open for hiking/climbing, plus I have long weekends. Longer trips are more of an issue since I don't have long breaks unless I take a term off.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm a Direct Support Professional. No set hours, I schedule my work in between my school. I get around 50 hours a week, and usually have 3 day weekends. No PTO but I can take off anytime I want as long as I work a minimum 20 hours every two months. It works good for me because I'll work my butt off for a year then spend it all on a 4 to 8 week trip in the summer.

no avatar
queasy

by queasy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:32 pm

Portfolio Manager..."money never sleeps"...or takes vacation it seems :(

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:53 pm

barrys wrote:So far in life I've found finding a balance in life between work and leisure impossible......

Was a sales director in London - had no life outside of work, couldn't even take holidays without taking calls and dealing with crap on my own time I remember hiking through the gorge du verdon on holiday dealing with work on my mobile phone, surprised and disappointed I had a mobile signal. So eventually I quit, we went traveling and then moved someplace where it's possible to see Mont Blanc from the couch - but to do what I have no idea yet........so the balance has shifted in favor of the mountains, but that can't last, one must earn a living.

Thats the spirit, rite on!

Right now I am an "out of work" Bearing Engineer/Salesman. First time without work in like 31 years.
No worries, well get something going, the world turns on bearings.

I like this topic. One of the things I really like about climbing is mixing with people who come from all sorts of Trades and Professions.

What really matters is how you are as a person and how good you can climb, not the size of your bank account.

But back to the OP.

One of my Doctor friends said this to me one day at the crags. "The best Job a climber could have is "hi tension electrical wire man .... they make $60/hr and they have a union that gets them work, it's so stress full all one needs to do is put in for some time off and you got it... 2 weeks, 10 weeks, 52 weeks, you got it... call us when your ready to come back."

That would be a sweet deal.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Since you have to work to make money, the best solution I could come up with is move near mountains. So far, this decision has worked out quite well. If I want, I could really be in the mountains every single weekend whereas some people may get maybe 3-4 trips a year. In that regard, I'm pretty happy!! And I also don't have to live in the middle of nowhere, which is nice.

The main thing that bothers me is big trips, which require longer periods of time off. Since all my family and (old) friends are overseas, I would really like to visit more often.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Guard/driver for armored money trucks. I go into stores and collect money or drive a big truck. I make shit due to the company I work for and still no raise after a year and a half. Only get 4 days vaction til I become full time. Which could be forever. Can barely save and I work up to 10 days in a row sometime. I started to just ask for a couple of days here or there off but then I'm not getting paid. Wanna use Mt vacation on something awesome. Fml!

Also I live in the Midwest. Ah

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:39 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:You could have stayed in Zurich?

Weather is much worse. Getting a job there probably would've been harder too. I know some German but Swiss German is a whole different thing. Not a huge fan of the closedness of people either.

The only advantage would've been the proximity to Belgium but that's it.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:48 pm

rpc wrote:I'm a priest.

HA! And you worship at The Church of Beer (http://www.thechurchofbeer.com)...

Reaffirming your faith 12 ounces at a time. :P

JackCarr

by JackCarr » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:49 pm

Work in the finance department for an airline. Mon-Thur 9-5 (9-4 on a Friday!). The most junior member of the department so worst pay and worst holidays! Seriously considering becoming a teacher so I can spend all summer climbing in The Alps. Though when I was at school I found the teachers who were there for the love of teaching were the best and the one's who clearly didn't give a toss were crappy teachers.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Litigation attorney. Not good for predictable time off but it has been a rewarding career.

gegarrenton

by gegarrenton » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Construction Biz. Pay is good, and I get a reasonable amount of vacation time, about 4 weeks a year. Kind of flexible since I work in the family business, but alas, I also have bills to pay, so i really can't afford to take off more than I do. Live by the ocean, which isn't conducive to the mountains, but get out when I can. I split my vacation about 50/50 with sailing ( my main competitive outlet).

CClaude

by CClaude » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm a polymer chemist developing medical products for a company who is a major player in the outdoors industry. Get to live in Flagstaff, Az. When I started with the company I told the company I'd like less pay but significantly more vacation (which is suppose to be confidential but it is along the lines of France as a ballpark figure). Being in Flagstaff, climbing is 5-30minutes so climbing outdoors is as easy as climbing indoors.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:46 pm

CClaude wrote:...I told the company I'd like less pay but significantly more vacation...

Did a similar thing -- said I'd gladly take a pay-cut to have more time off. So they let me take the month of July off (without pay) each year! Sweet!

PreviousNext

Return to General