Careers

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
WouterB

by WouterB » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:35 pm

hikerbrian wrote:Grad student in chemistry effing around with neurotoxins. Pretty fun, but no money AND no time. Soon will be making drugs = more money and at least I'll get the weekends.

xDoogiex wrote:Guard/driver for armored money trucks. I go into stores and collect money or drive a big truck. I make shit due to the company I work for and still no raise after a year and a half. Only get 4 days vaction til I become full time. Which could be forever. Can barely save and I work up to 10 days in a row sometime.

If you don't mind calling me "Don Wouterb", I think we should talk :D
This could be "the thing" to combine money and time off.

fossana

by fossana » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:22 pm

I did a survey on this very topic last year: thread, results

I'm an IT project manager (soon to be search product manager). We have a somewhat flexible schedule, I enjoy the competitive technology aspect, and I can feed my gear addiction without going into debt.

sixfingers

by sixfingers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Contractor in the Sonoma Ca wine country. I build the metal stuff for the well to do; fireplaces, furniture, stairs etc. http://www.flickr.com/photos/werkendesign/2115554636/ After being laid off from the local outfitters shop when they went under seven years ago (REI moved in across the street) Got back to my metal roots welding parts for Boeing engines and similar, little time off and crappy hours. Started my own gig six years ago and now have enough clients and work to pretty much take as much time as I want....mostly.

fossana wrote:I did a survey on this very topic last year: thread, results

You are such a geek and this is totally cool. Have always loved the climbing community for being a somewhat educated lot (think long discussions on the serial comma and invoking strunk & white on a sports oriented forum) The stats are a little skewed in that they are only for SP users and not climbers as a whole. Would love to see that demographic breakdown in comparison.

tyler4588

by tyler4588 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:50 pm

Interesting...I'm working at a school right now, but it's a year round job, and the new boss isn't very flexible with time off, so I'm thinking about leaving. What jobs do you guys think works well with climbing?

GravityPilot

by GravityPilot » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Since I couldn't get the job I was hoping for I've been working retail at a gear store this summer, for another week at least. It drives me nuts, but I deal. I winter as a ski patroler. Thankfully it's almost winter.

aedwards

by aedwards » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:07 pm

I'm a graphic artist/pre-press guy at a custom book maker.

Normalish hours, with an occasional month off.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Very interesting results. They reinforce one of my reasons from switching from a career in architecture (BA in undergrad) to structural engineering (M.ENg)! Now I just have to find a job . . .

tyler4588 wrote:Interesting...I'm working at a school right now, but it's a year round job, and the new boss isn't very flexible with time off, so I'm thinking about leaving. What jobs do you guys think works well with climbing?

I've been on a number of trips in the Sierra, Cascades and Alaska where I met glaciologists 'working' out there. I wonder how much they combine climbing on the side with their field work?

fossana

by fossana » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:38 am

sixfingers wrote:Contractor in the Sonoma Ca wine country. I build the metal stuff for the well to do; fireplaces, furniture, stairs etc. http://www.flickr.com/photos/werkendesign/2115554636/ After being laid off from the local outfitters shop when they went under seven years ago (REI moved in across the street) Got back to my metal roots welding parts for Boeing engines and similar, little time off and crappy hours. Started my own gig six years ago and now have enough clients and work to pretty much take as much time as I want....mostly.

You are such a geek and this is totally cool. Have always loved the climbing community for being a somewhat educated lot (think long discussions on the serial comma and invoking strunk & white on a sports oriented forum) The stats are a little skewed in that they are only for SP users and not climbers as a whole. Would love to see that demographic breakdown in comparison.

I will take that as a complement :) Stats are further skewed toward SPers that are willing to answer online surveys.

Misha

by Misha » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:53 am

I wash bottles and occasionally water plants. Pays well 8)

moonspots

by moonspots » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:46 am

Luciano136 wrote:Government jobs usually get a lot of time off as it is. They are very boring though...

Indeed, I work for the US Government. "Lots of time off".... hmmm, well not so much. But you got the boring part right! :roll:

I do navigation, communication and RADAR electronics maintenance. And soon to be retired, then will have time to get out of the midwest and "head for the hills, man!" with the grandkids. :D

Grandpa Dave

kovarpa

by kovarpa » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:40 am

professional a**hole

dan2see

by dan2see » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:32 am

1960's - Electronics Technician
1970's - Computer Repair Technician
1980's - Programmer
1990's - Software Developer
2000's - not much of anything, learned sales

2009 - student: Wildlife Conservation, and Art.

silversummit

by silversummit » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:15 am

According to my husband, practically nothing!

In reality, I work for a contractor coding educational data for a federal study.

Low pay but great work group and flex hours. It's a nice supplemental job for my teacher's retirement pay.

Besides it gets me out of the house now that he's retired and driving me crazy!

Now I have the time to hike and travel but it seems health and money are issues :roll: :roll:

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I'm paid to climb mountains, tear them down, blow them up, stabilize them or help make them safe enough for people to live below them.. and be an asshole in the process but that's a given, you all know me 8)

Dragger

by Dragger » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:41 am

In-flight Entertainer

PreviousNext

Return to General