Change to SP's Account Activation

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Change to SP's Account Activation

by Bob Burd » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:04 am

Word from Matt is that various email providers are flagging SP's domain as spam and preemptively dumping emails from the site. So emailing another member may not work, as many of us are already aware. Not sure what to do about that. But for account activation, Matt plans to change from the verification email to a "catcha", one of those nifty graphics that twist words to make them unreadable and make you repeatedly select "choose another" before you can find one you can read and login to whatever it was you were trying to log in to but have now inconveniently forgotten. But it's better than waiting for an email that ain't a'comin'. :D

Big Benn

Re: Change to SP's Account Activation

by Big Benn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:19 am

Bob Burd wrote:Word from Matt is that various email providers are flagging SP's domain as spam and preemptively dumping emails from the site. So emailing another member may not work, as many of us are already aware. Not sure what to do about that. But for account activation, Matt plans to change from the verification email to a "catcha", one of those nifty graphics that twist words to make them unreadable and make you repeatedly select "choose another" before you can find one you can read and login to whatever it was you were trying to log in to but have now inconveniently forgotten. But it's better than waiting for an email that ain't a'comin'. :D

My bold

Good one Bob. Best description I have seen of that wonderful process. :D

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:Good one Bob. Best description I have seen of that wonderful process. :D

To show my further ignorance, it has been pointed out to me that its "CAPTCHA", not "CATCHA". Of course I still can't read the bloody things, no matter what you call them. It seems to me they were intended to lock out both spambots and anyone over 45yrs of age. Perhaps they are equally disagreeable leeches on the Internet.

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
Bryan Benn wrote:Good one Bob. Best description I have seen of that wonderful process. :D

To show my further ignorance, it has been pointed out to me that its "CAPTCHA", not "CATCHA". Of course I still can't read the bloody things, no matter what you call them. It seems to me they were intended to lock out both spambots and anyone over 45yrs of age. Perhaps they are equally disagreeable leeches on the Internet.

I'm 25 and I can't read the damn things. And I have 20/20 vision. So you're not alone.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Bob Burd wrote:Word from Matt is that various email providers are flagging SP's domain as spam and preemptively dumping emails from the site. So emailing another member may not work, as many of us are already aware. Not sure what to do about that. But for account activation, Matt plans to change from the verification email to a "catcha", one of those nifty graphics that twist words to make them unreadable and make you repeatedly select "choose another" before you can find one you can read and login to whatever it was you were trying to log in to but have now inconveniently forgotten. But it's better than waiting for an email that ain't a'comin'. :D

Hello

http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=62516

visentin

by visentin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Hello Bob,
First thanks for your help on the topics we discussed earlier.
For the emailing problem on SP, perhaps a very simple solution : why not making a feature replacing emails from SP like a tickbox in the PM form, allowing sending an alert when a SP MP is sent to a member who didn't connect for a long time. Then the user knows a PM waits for him in SP. Even if some guys would still try to send spam this way, this would discourage a lot the spam activity and SP mails would stop being analyzed by providers as spam.
As for the graphic in the registration form, it sounds a wise idea.
Eric

Cedar

by Cedar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:43 am

builttospill wrote:
Bob Burd wrote:

I'm 25 and I can't read the damn things. And I have 20/20 vision. So you're not alone.

Which brings up the case of needing an audio alternative for people with vision problems since I'm sure there are many on this site who are blind and we wouldn't want to exclude them. :)

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:24 am

CAPTCHAs are not a real solution for this problem. Instead it should really be worked on to get email "fixed". Setting up an SPF record is a good start, and if they (the sysadmins) have the ability to set up DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) it should be all good. Also, checking blacklisting services if the domain and/or IP is listed is an important first step (e.g. spamhaus.org). I'll gladly help out a bit.

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:25 am

Oh also if it's not already there, a note telling ppl to check their spam folders for the registration email is a good idea too.

Return to Site Feedback