Coffee Talk

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Verklempt!!

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Check out this thread. A few good suggestions and conversations ...

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:34 pm

I prefer a french press. Done correctly it's definitely NOT cold coffee.

For use afield, I use the Primus French Press adapter for my EtaExpress. If I am carrying a stove other than the EtaExpress, I just drink black chai tea.

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:55 pm

squishy wrote:Image

Blah, those things are terrible. Someone suggested getting empty tea bags and filling them with your own grounds. Much, MUCH better.

rpc

by rpc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I mostly go with fine grind coffee, very fresh, say Peets or something similar, and a simple cone filter arrangement.
DMT

most elegant solutions are the simple ones. will put this to use this summer vs. drinking the brown piss that comes out of instant c-bags.

it's the bad coffee in the backcountry that has always motivated me to try & do as much as possible car to car...nothing like enjoying the post-accomplishment glow on a sunday morning while sipping the fine shit in a cafe in portland.

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:The problem with them squishy is twofold... cold coffee and very weak coffee at once.

And the other problem is that the beans have to be ground significantly in advance, seriously affecting the flavor. Of course, if ...
squishy wrote:I don't drink coffee for the taste
then I suppose it doesn't matter as much. :)

builttospill

by builttospill » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:19 pm

I have a GSI outdoors french press that makes good coffee and handles even medium grounds well. It is the larger model, so it makes a whole lot of coffee (a liter?). The 10 oz one is junk though....the secondary filter plugs up and you can't get the coffee out at more than a very slow drip. But the big one is good for backpacking trips at least, and for early morning starts in the backcountry (when I'm taking the time to brew coffee, that is).

mfox79

by mfox79 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:46 pm

My Girlfriend bought me a cheep double layer plastic french press for my birthday one year and it seems to work well. The one thing I dont like about frech presses is the hasstle of cleaning them, but I guess the flavor of fresh roasted/ground/pressed coffee make up for the extra chore. has anyone used the Aero - Press? it looks like a good solution to making great coffe and not having a major clean up on your hands.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:48 pm

The cone and filter works best. ...... :wink:

I add swiss-miss hot chocolate, instead of hauling 1/2 + 1/2 and sugar.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 pm

squishy wrote:Not the best coffee in the world or anything, but not instant either...extremely easy...I like easy...Taste can be improved with some Irish whiskey...These are basically tea bags with real coffee in them...

I'm glad you had the guts to suggest the Folger's bags, but I could tell from the start they were way below the OP's taste requirements.

I use the Folger's bags all the time, when I actually have a stove. Two bags in a pint of water on the JetBoil = coffee in just a few minutes. I'm usually trying to get out of camp as quickly as possible. Sometimes it's just 2 Clif "Peanut Toffee Buzz" bars and water.

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Taste good enough to me.

http://www.javajuiceextract.com/

Tonka

by Tonka » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:35 pm

Coffee first.....what kind of coffee fourth, that's what I say. But this is coming from a guy who drinks Miller lite.

When I was in Greece this fall many times the only option was Nescafe. They love that stuff and I don't mind it at all.

I just have a light weight aluminum percalator. I use it with the cover for many things (only downside is the little percalator). Since I don't mind instant it really doesn't matter but if I have company :wink: I can just bring the inner workings for a more formal cup.

jibmaster

by jibmaster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Who was saying they don't like the Jetboil? I don't drink coffee, but I just bought the Jetboil.
I drink green/mate tea instead.
I haven't used it yet.
Did you put the french press together properly?
The Jetboil looks like it would solve DMT's issue with cold coffee - it's got a stove right under it!
Anyone else use the Jetboil system?

Next

Return to General