Coffee Talk

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Joe White

Re: Coffee Talk

by Joe White » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 am

Dingus Milktoast wrote:
thedancummins wrote:Way off topic, but a part of climbing, no?

No, NOT off topic, at all. Very much on topic, brother. Don't worry. Coffree is one of the global unifying forces amongst climbers!

DMT

agreed. and to include to that, the other brew: beer

RickF

by RickF » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:10 am

squishy wrote:Not the best coffee in the world or anything, but not instant either...extremely easy...I like easy...Taste can be improved with some Irish whiskey...These are basically tea bags with real coffee in them...

I do the Folgers brew-bags as well. I just pour boiling water into my insulated plastic mug and its hot coffee even in freezing temps. (It does enhance my appreciation for fresh home brew when I return to civilization.)

My coffee snob friends poo-poo the concept until I brew the first cup then they ask me to make them a cup.

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:11 am

I use a cone filter and sometimes bring a small backpackers expresso maker too!!

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:21 am

jibmaster wrote:Who was saying they don't like the Jetboil? I don't drink coffee, but I just bought the Jetboil.
I drink green/mate tea instead.
I haven't used it yet.
Did you put the french press together properly?
The Jetboil looks like it would solve DMT's issue with cold coffee - it's got a stove right under it!
Anyone else use the Jetboil system?

Jib.... I love my jet... I hate french presses because it takes water to clean the thing before you can use for the second round.

Just don't fill the thing above the "line" ......... or you will have "old faithful" in your tent. :wink:

welle

by welle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 am

I've used every possible method - french press, filters etc., but found the best and simplest method is a modified french press/cowboy: put ground coffee in the cup, pour boiling water, wait till it brews couple of minutes, stir with a spoon for the grinds to settle on the bottom of the cup and drink up. No filters/french presses to clean, no extra gear to carry. I use cheap South American coffee brands the Espresso kinds like Cafe Bustelo. If I have to use instant, I go fo Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 am

The best method for quick coffee was perfected by Mr Bean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxqU5XvS7Gg

jibmaster

by jibmaster » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:37 am

Guyzo wrote:Jib.... I love my jet... I hate french presses because it takes water to clean the thing before you can use for the second round.

True that. I simply use green tea bags if I'm camping out.
If I'm car camping, the french press seem reasonable.

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:02 am

This one's situational:

1 - Cone filter with good cofee: best case!

2 - Folgers instant coffee, maybe with powdered milk: not that good, but gets the job done with minimal extras or cleanup.

3 - Irish or English breakfast tea, or Chai tea: good enough but a little lacking in the caffeine department.

4 - Vivarin tabs for the middle of the night alpine start: no fuss, no muss. Could be considered aid though. Can be combined with #3 for a more civilized jump start.

gomez13

by gomez13 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:32 am

Instant coffee is perfect for light and fast. MSR filter for car camping. Folgers, Via, Nescafe, it all taste the same to me. :)

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 am

There is absolutely no fucking way I am drinking instant coffee piss or "tea bag" coffee.

I don't like getting tea-bagged.

The Melitta cone is the way to go.

QITNL

by QITNL » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:54 am

I'm going out on a limb here, don't crucify me, okay?

I love coffee. At home I'm an expresso guy. Can't get out of bed without it, I mean, what would be the point? I make my own, am a bit of a snob, not into coffeeshops. I've tried a bunch of stuff on the trail.

A few months ago Starbucks came out with their instant coffee thing, so I went on a bunch of "taste tests" to bag all the free samples I could score. I figured they might work in a pinch - but I tell you, the stuff is pretty good.

My girlfriend bought me a month's supply for Xmas after the price dropped. Stoke!

It's real nice in winter. I keep a packet of that (the darker roast, Italian?) and an Emergen-C (orange!) in my sleeping bag. No critter is getting between me and that. Jetboil at arm's reach - breakfast in bed! Vrrrooom!

moonspots

by moonspots » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 pm

JasonH wrote:Image

Taste good enough to me.

http://www.javajuiceextract.com/

How does this compare to the Starbucks stuff (Via?) that Dingus doesn't like? I tried it once at the local SB, it seemed ok to me.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Folgers & 1/2 bag hot chocolate = Too weak.
Nescafe Instant = Gross. Never again.

Illy with a plastic cone & Filter = blissfully good. :D

:shock: Imagine my surprise when I found out the cone & filter method comes "Highly Recommended" on www.cooksillustrated.com! :shock:

From the: "Dont Try This At Home Department":
I once had a boyfriend who was a little creative. He tried to roast his own beans in the kitchen. Sounded like a good idea at the time, until the house filled with THICK OILY BLACK SMOKE that smelled HORRIBLE. Best to leave this to the experts.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:23 pm

squishy wrote:Not the best coffee in the world or anything, but not instant either...extremely easy...I like easy...Taste can be improved with some Irish whiskey...These are basically tea bags with real coffee in them...

Actually, if you read the label, you will find that they are at least partly instant! Not too shabby though.

mfox79

by mfox79 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Tigerlilly
Illy with a plastic cone & Filter = blissfully good.

yes you cant go wrong with Illy, unless you live in a small town and can only get it on line :cry:
also Roasting your own beans works just fine if you set up a good system :wink: I use an IRoast and a fan aimed ut the back door and have not worried about the fire department coming over since then :wink: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to General