Coffee Talk

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
QITNL

by QITNL » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 pm

Alright, you guys didn't bust my chops for pimping the Starbucks.

I'm not a big fan of their regular coffee, tolerable in airports and such, that's about it. And, yeah, I won the taste test each time as I was loading up on free packs. Nonetheless, I was very pleasantly surprised. Most instant coffee is plain bad, I don't like the Java Juice one bit. For me at least, this stuff does the trick.

$15.98 for a box of 24 at Costco. That's $0.66 per cup if I can still do math in my head.

Still a little pricey (I'm cheap) but I think the price is set artificially high so that it doesn't compete too directly with their regular product. If it proves to be a success, perhaps other vendors will join the mix.

Yep, hot water and don't use too much.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:43 am

Ok.

Starbucks tastes like crap. Sorry.

That said, I go there 2-3 times a week. I'm such a loser. :-D (people keep giving me Starbucks cards as presents, what can I do? waste it? no....!)

My beef with them is that they burn the beans - or something. Hell, I don't know what they're doing to them, but it tastes like Cah-Cah. And I'm an expert on Cah-Cah.

I'm thinking of starting an Insomia Thread. (It is 11:42pm here and I'm wide awake) I don't think it has anything to do with my coffee consumption, however. I think it is purely coincidental.

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:29 pm

QITNL wrote:Alright, you guys didn't bust my chops for pimping the Starbucks.

I'm not a big fan of their regular coffee, tolerable in airports and such, that's about it. And, yeah, I won the taste test each time as I was loading up on free packs. Nonetheless, I was very pleasantly surprised. Most instant coffee is plain bad, I don't like the Java Juice one bit. For me at least, this stuff does the trick.

$15.98 for a box of 24 at Costco. That's $0.66 per cup if I can still do math in my head.

Still a little pricey (I'm cheap) but I think the price is set artificially high so that it doesn't compete too directly with their regular product. If it proves to be a success, perhaps other vendors will join the mix.

Yep, hot water and don't use too much.

Yep, I'm a fan of the Via as well, though I've yet to try them in the backcountry, where I'm sure they'll taste even better.
But, in the first taste test, I chose the Via. In subsequent tests, I knew which was which, and I preferred the Via. Tasted a bit richer, creamier, etc. Maybe less burnt.
I do enjoy Starbucks though, and find arguing about particular brands funny. Funny, because once you've spent $4.00 for a cup of mediocre coffee in Japan, then come back here to find people arguing about the best cup o' joe(Petes' or Starbucks, amongst others), or the best microbrew, you realized the silliness of said arguements. Drink up! It's all good, as they say. Though not a fan of instant. . .

Previous

Return to General