Colorado Weather-WTF!!!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Bill Reed

Colorado Weather-WTF!!!

by Bill Reed » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Don't know how much longer I can take this Colorado weather. 60 degrees F yesterday, predicted high of -4 F on Tuesday!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

england

Re: Colorado Weather-WTF!!!

by england » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:36 pm

Arizona's only a state away. I love it here. Ice climbing one day, rock climbing the next. Garden of the Gods was awesome yesterday!

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Trade you:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 107.55&e=1

Not that we'll be that much colder, but at least you'll be above feezing starting Thursday.

60 degrees yesterday? We havent seen 60 for months. I thought we were doing really good with 30F yesterday. :D

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 am

Scott, I don't think a trade would make much of a difference to either one of us http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text at this point. Thankfully, as you point out, it does look short lived.
Go figure, just when I was starting to enjoy the benefits of Global Warming...... :(

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:01 am

england wrote:Arizona's only a state away ...

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:18 am

Scott, I don't think a trade would make much of a difference to either one of us http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text at this point.

I have to trade anyway. I just arrived in Denver and will be leaving Thursday. Usually when I come to Denver in winter, I'm looking forward to mild temps. I swear the cold weather is following me.

Thankfully, as you point out, it does look short lived.

Yes, it's supposed to warm up on the Front Range right when I go back home. Bummer I missed the 60F. We're not supposed to hit close to freezing any time in the 4 day forecast and beyond.

I guess I should complain though. My wife works crossing guard in Craig and is going to be standing outside in the -30F weather. I climb mountains in that weather on regular basis, but having to stand there is worse.
Last edited by Scott on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 am

Bill Reed wrote:Don't know how much longer I can take this Colorado weather. 60 degrees F yesterday, predicted high of -4 F on Tuesday!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know. This weather is absolutely insane. I started off with 3 layers, two fleece hats and a down sweater yesterday morning, stripped down to a lycra running shirt by afternoon & ended the day back in two layers and a hardshell while climbing La Plata Peak. I was planning on hitting up Wetterhorn on Tuesday but with an expected high of -4, think I'll pass. Need to catch up on some old Family Guy episodes anyway.
Colorado weather is like dating a cute schziophrenic girl.

That Arizona pic sure looks inviting Icarreau!!!

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:46 pm

lcarreau wrote:
england wrote:Arizona's only a state away ...

It's starting to look real good!

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:54 pm

This little Ringtail paid me a visit on the summit of Safford Peak in the Tucson Mountains west of Tucson, AZ, Sunday afternoon. I thought I would die of heat-stroke yesterday. It's fun to complain about the heat in January when meeting Arizonans on the hiking trail in the winter. I love to see the confused looks on their faces. :P

Yeah, sounds like the weather in CO is a little...odd this winter. I'll be right back in it soon enough...
Go climb a mountain

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 am

Temps actually got a little, with emphasis on "little", warmer than the predicted high of -4, at 1 or 2 above. Wind kicked up enough in the afternoon to make it arguably the coldest conditions I've ever experienced in 35 years of living here. Have seen it colder but never with as much wind as I felt this afternoon, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

On a brighter note, maybe this is just what we need to rid our state of the dreaded......... "PINE BEETLES" !!!! :o :o

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:48 am

sarah.simon wrote:It's fun to complain about the heat in January when meeting Arizonans on the hiking trail in the winter. I love to see the confused looks on their faces. :P

:?

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:08 am

Bill Reed wrote:Temps actually got a little, with emphasis on "little", warmer than the predicted high of -4, at 1 or 2 above. Wind kicked up enough in the afternoon to make it arguably the coldest conditions I've ever experienced in 35 years of living here. Have seen it colder but never with as much wind as I felt this afternoon, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

On a brighter note, maybe this is just what we need to rid our state of the dreaded......... "PINE BEETLES" !!!! :o :o

-22 here right now. The highest temp I saw today was -10. At least we didn't have the wind (or as much). I went to the Springs today where it was -2, but with the wind it felt a lot colder than it did here.

I agree, it should at least get the attention of those damn beetles.

talusfinder

by talusfinder » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:14 am

Currently -28.1F according to my neighbor's online weather station up in Gilpin County (a few miles north of Black Hawk). Luckily only a very light wind.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:46 am

Check out the current in Craig:

If it's -26F at 8:53 PM; I'm guessing -40F by morning. Also, check out the DAYTIME windchills for the next few days.

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:29 pm

It would have been nice if this storm at least brought some decent snowfall, but we only got 9" on Beaver Creek and 3" on Vail. Meanwhile the Midwest is getting like 2 feet. Oh well, I have to work anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter, but it would be nice to get a 2 foot storm up here :D

Next

Return to Colorado