Crampon Boot Fit

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
4FunRunner

Crampon Boot Fit

by 4FunRunner » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:34 am

My shoulder is nearly healed (torn infraspinatus --> deltoid and bicep tendinopathy) and I'm getting ready to go climbing. I was just trying to fit my crampons, BD Sabretooth pros, to my new boots and I can't get a solid fit - no toe slosh - unless I adjust the bars making the heel tabs only fit the heel of the boot by literally stuffing the heel in and cranking the heel clip. Here are some pics so you get an idea of the progression:
1.jpg
1.jpg (76.92 KiB) Viewed 2896 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (78.55 KiB) Viewed 2896 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (68.71 KiB) Viewed 2896 times

So my question: is this okay, or do you guys think it will damage the boot? On the bright side, it seems solid. I'm considering buying another pair of pons so I can try to mix and match for a better fit, too.

beean

Re: Crampon Boot Fit

by beean » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:41 pm

You got a side view of the fit for us? Looks like the heel piece needs to move further back towards the end of the boot. What boot is that?

ExcitableBoy

Re: Crampon Boot Fit

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:04 pm

One thing you can try is trimming the sole of the boot where the crampon posts are touching, this may make it easier to get a secure fit. I recommend checking out Dane's blog. He knows more about the subject than anybody I know.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... n-fit.html

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... esign.html

Return to Gear