Damavand - Iran

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:30 pm

I'm not exactly talking about Dick Cheney. In fact, I'm not even talking about Amerika, who'll think twice before engaging in yet another endless war (in this case with a country that actually has an organised army, and...). Anyway, I'm talking about Israel. I'm quite sure they'll "act" soon.

TorstenW

by TorstenW » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Could possible actions by Israel set precedence for Russia to act upon missile shield sites in the Cz and poland, in the name of national security? If so, then it may be somewhat unlikely that the world sees any new major action against the Arab mid-east...

neghafi

by neghafi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:36 pm

WouterB wrote:I am VERY interested. HOWEVER it seems I won't be able to enter Iran. I've received a negative advice from the Belgian foreign affairs agency on going to Iran. Furthermore, the Iranian embassy doesn't seem too keen on letting me enter the country. Last but not least, I've received multiple warnings from Iranians. They mostly stated that if I were to enter the country and any kind of war would break out, I would be captured and held hostage immediately.

As my sources are good, and it seems I won't be able to enter the country, I might have to cancell my ticket. :(. I'm not panicking yet, but I think I might have to start searching for an alternative... .

I personally don't think if there'll be a war soon. they all are politic bluff just to scare each other. (I mean Israel and Iran) and it's unlikely if any hostage would occur for a third party country citizen.

neghafi

by neghafi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:13 pm

I was there last week. some foreign teams were also there. (Turkish, France, ...). no war no hostage :D

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:06 pm

neghafi wrote:I was there last week. some foreign teams were also there. (Turkish, France, ...). no war no hostage :D

Haha, I know, I know. It's just that I'm not the only one I have to consider in the decision. But at this point, I'm still thinking strongly about coming!

Again, if you feel like meeting me somewhere, or climbing with me, I'm interested.

neghafi

by neghafi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:06 pm

now I'm thinking about Alam kooh Mt. which is much more technical. I may go to damavand next month again.

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Looks like a nice mountain too!

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Update: I've been in contact with the Belgian embassy. They told me I could get a tourist visa for 14days, which is what I'm going to do. It'll put a time limit on my vacation, but it'll be easier than getting it from the Iranian embassy in Belgium (which seems to be impossible).

Most likely I'll be arriving in Tehran on the 17th of september. I'm now looking for a place to sleep in Tehran for a couple of nights.

Furthermore, I've been in contact with a Macedonian and an American, who might both be climbing with me in September. I'm hoping they will.

Doberman

by Doberman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:17 pm

WouterB wrote:Update: I've been in contact with the Belgian embassy. They told me I could get a tourist visa for 14days, which is what I'm going to do. It'll put a time limit on my vacation, but it'll be easier than getting it from the Iranian embassy in Belgium (which seems to be impossible).

Most likely I'll be arriving in Tehran on the 17th of september. I'm now looking for a place to sleep in Tehran for a couple of nights.

Furthermore, I've been in contact with a Macedonian and an American, who might both be climbing with me in September. I'm hoping they will.

I would strongly advice you to go directly to Reine or Pollur, spending nights in Tehran will gain you nothing. It is heavy polluted and noisy, besides, if you go directly with taxi from the airport you dont have to worry about hotels and further transport.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:00 pm

You might be right, but at this point I have no confirmed climbing partners. The only options for those I have right now, are a week later. Which means I'll have to fill a whole week with... well, I don't really know what with.

I'll figure it out later.

WouterB

by WouterB » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:18 pm

Update, I'm arriving in Tehran on the 16th of september at 18h30.

I also found an itinerary for a 14 day trip in Iran. It includes lots of climbing and of course Damavand.

All I need now is someone to climb with :roll:

neghafi

by neghafi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:45 pm

Just hiked from west face of damavand again this weekend. But "Ramazan" Mounth is going to begin which affect mountaineering activities in Iran. We may try the "North-West" face two mounth later again. so I suggest to come mounth later. if not possible, then inform me please. may one we do more climb to damavand.
till then ...

WouterB

Ow-yeah!

by WouterB » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:55 am

I finally got a message back from the Foreign Affairs Ministry. It says I have to contact the Representative at the Imam KHomeini airport. Which I guess is a good thing. As it clearly states I'm allowed to arrive, and they won't let me fly their to send me away again.

I'm really pleased with this, as getting a visa was one of my biggest worries. I think I also found someone to climb with, so few more theys and I'm there :D .

nader

by nader » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:17 pm

Did you try this site?

http://iranianvisa.com/

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:41 pm

I didn't try ANY. I wanted to do it on my own. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning, so if you don't hear back from my by the evening, it worked :D .

PreviousNext

Return to Asia