Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
drpw

Re: Denali training routine?

by drpw » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:16 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cufQD5Y31ZA[/youtube]

peterline

by peterline » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 am

As much as people can tell you about dragging a tyre, getting used to pulling a sled... to me it all comes down to being as fit as you can possibly be. Summited Denali last year, didn't do a single day of training with either heavy pack or dragging something behind me. I ran a lot in the hills around where I live. And believe it or not, I was by far the fittest of all the group (group included guys who had trained in mountain ranges carrying heavy packs...)

So in other words, no need for mountains to prepare yourself to climb mountains ;)

HeyItsBen

by HeyItsBen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 am

I didn't think pulling a sled was too big of a deal. I pulled a sled for a weekend before Denali last year just to get the hang of the steering, but I didn't specifically train for pulling a sled.

Think big legs, overall fitness, and long workouts (endurance). The goal for me would be to roll into camp after a 5+ hour day and feel like it was just another workout.

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Robs got a great program for Big Mountains combined with his Ski prep program was prefect for Everest and Denali as both are heavy into legs, hips and lungs. www.Mountainathlete.com

Previous

Return to Technique and Training