discovery channel everest 2009

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Brad F

by Brad F » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:37 am

Hmmm... doesn't seem like Discovery Channel is playing this in Canada. Guess I'll have to wait and download it.

erykmynn

by erykmynn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Hotoven wrote:
taxinvestor wrote:death zone grid.

Got to love the CG death zone grid, strikes fear in me every time.

me too, that thing is terrifying. I can't even imagine what it looks like in real life! :shock: :shock:

You guys are talking about Season 3? Was it up or down from season 2?

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:17 am

erykmynn wrote:
You guys are talking about Season 3? Was it up or down from season 2?

Down, IMO.

-Fewer episodes (5, vs. 6 for Season 1 and 8 for Season 2).

-No "After The Climb" interview show. I'm not the biggest Phil Keoghan fan, but the discussions with the climbers were interesting.

-Each episode followed a different group of climbers and was almost self-contained. (There might've been one group that took two episodes to cover their climb.) This is in contrast to the previous seasons, where one group was followed, and each week's episode showed where they were on the mountain (i.e., approach/BC, Icefall, Cwm, Lhotse Face/Col, summit/descent, etc.) As a climber, I liked this approach better, for a more in-depth look at the various stages of the climb, though I could see how the Season 3 "mini-capsule" style might appeal more to the Great Unwashed Masses.

sevenvii

by sevenvii » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:15 am

At least all of the clients this year knew what crampons are! I admit first season kinda intrigued me, next 2 are just more of the same cheese and ranting about the Death Zone. More than that I think its probably contributing to more wanna be Everest summiters, thus making it an even more over crowded place.

Nefsek

by Nefsek » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Toomsdpt wrote:
Need to follow 4 or so climbers from start to finish, Kathmandu to getting back to base from the summit. Interview them as they go.

I recently downloaded "The Rest of Everest" podcast from iTunes (over 100 20-30 minute episodes) following American climber Ben Clark. From shopping for expedition food in Wal-Mart, flying to Kathmandu, trekking to mountain, all the way up and down. While Clark is full of himself at times, I thought the episodes were generally interesting and entertaining.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Nef, is there a way to download it with one click? Or did you have to go episode by episode ? Looks like great stairmaster watching! Thanks Scott

Nefsek

by Nefsek » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:28 pm

ScottyP wrote:Nef, is there a way to download it with one click? Or did you have to go episode by episode ? Looks like great stairmaster watching! Thanks Scott

Yeah man, download an episode, then go to your podcast list under Library. There should be an option next to the title to "Get All." Hope that helps!

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:14 am

f*&K Russell Brice dude he is an asshole!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:48 pm

jonesa37 wrote:f*&K Russell Brice dude he is an asshole!

I hope your speaking from personal experiences.

mstender

by mstender » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Hotoven wrote:
jonesa37 wrote:f*&K Russell Brice dude he is an asshole!

I hope your speaking from personal experiences.

I was also wondering why you would say that since I don't know him.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:25 am

Yes, in a manner its mostly his response to the slayings of tibetans in the basecamp of Cho Oyu, he did nothing because he didn't want to sacrifice his job he threw morals out the door... He also has left climbers to die on the mountain since he didnt feel its his responsibility. I have no respect for this man, he obviously has no respect for the region he climbs in or other climbers completely he is just in it to make huge sums of money.... sorry if this sends this topic to the spray

radson

by radson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:15 am

how do you differentiate russel from every other operator in Tibet in 2006.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:27 am

I am not... he was one of the guiding companies there but they all should be held to the same moral responsibility. Russell Brice is just notable because he fired a guide that did speak out against the killings.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:02 am

didn't just read it in the news other wise I wouldn't make such a claim. I have discussed it directly with people there that witnessed the events unfold and did speak up. I didn't imply that Russell Brice throw snowballs at the troops. That is foolish and absurd, but not doing anything after the fact is down right unacceptable and should be brought to everyones attention.
The death was that of young David Sharp, this account has been mixed up many times, but the jist of it is that climbers on Russell Brice's teams passed by the dying man twice on one of the seasons of Everest Discovery Channel, you can actually watch it for yourself. Sir Edmond Hillary even scolds the climbers for their poor reaction instead climbing past the climber, where has peoples sense of compassion gone, is it really about the summit or someones life. While it puts others in danger it really isn't a choice just to leave someone to die. I don't know about other people here, but I would sacrifice anything to save someone else, climbing is just a hobby, someones life is not something to be looked at casually!

PreviousNext

Return to General