discovery channel everest 2009

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
kozman18

by kozman18 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Alpinisto wrote:
kozman18 wrote:Okay, here's this season's contest -- who can guess the exact number of times the word "death" or the phrase "death zone" will be used on the shows? Hint: think triple digits.

FAIL. :roll:

A better contest is the Everest: Beyond the Cheese-Fest drinking game.

Get your climbing buddies all over to the house to watch each week and everybody does a shot (or slams a beer) every time death/death zone is mentioned.

The guy who can still operate the remote and turn off the TV at the end of the episode is the winner! :wink:

That contest was suggested last year -- problem is, you won't make it past the first commercial.

grabbs146

by grabbs146 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:22 pm

:D haha I liked the drinking game. I did the same thing with scareface but, we drank every time they said f@#$. We didn't finish.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:23 pm

kozman18 wrote:Okay, here's this season's contest -- who can guess the exact number of times the word "death" or the phrase "death zone" will be used on the shows? Hint: think triple digits.

That's almost as annoying as the number of times they talk about the Lhotse Face being vertical. One guy even used the word "vertical" in the same sentence as saying it was 45 degrees.

Seems like mostly people who shouldn't be there risking the lives of other people. The guy that was so sick that he couldn't stand up, but still went to the top should have been left there. (Not really. They should have helped him down to BC and, when he felt better, kicked his ass all over the place.)

taxinvestor

by taxinvestor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm

Is it wrong to want to see a shot of the inside of the pants of the climbers who crapped themselves? :oops:

Aside from the whole thing sounding like an infomercial for the two guide services, the scenery was cool, but you really need to watch only one hour since they kept repeating everthing ad nauseum - the map of high camps, death zone grid, guy on sat phone "good job, better head down now", etc.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:04 pm

taxinvestor wrote:death zone grid.

Got to love the CG death zone grid, strikes fear in me every time.

Cascade Scrambler

by Cascade Scrambler » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:44 pm

I wish they had focused a little more in IMG this season. We've had two years of Russell Brice- we know he's all about the safety, he's going to turn people around if he needs to, he's going to remind those on the summit that they're only halfway, and he's going to cry once everyone is down safely. I would've liked it if they could have edited it to compare/contrast how the two groups operated.

snowflake

by snowflake » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:17 pm

I have to admit I watched it. Mostly to see if I could recognize any IMG Sherpas. Saw Danuru, Phunuru and Mingma.

It was funny in that every part of the climb is called the deadliest part: the Khumbu icefall, the Lhotse Face, and of course the Death Zone(TM).
Last edited by snowflake on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mountainzguy

by mountainzguy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:19 pm

RickandRhonda wrote:I wish they had focused a little more in IMG this season.

The three episodes on Sunday were focused on IMG. The two yesterday were on Himalayan Experience.

They made it sound like everyone who goes to everest goes with IMG or Himex. It did sort of seem like an infomercial.

All in all I thought it was O.K. Cool scenery and clips of climbing. A TON of over exaggeration though (like Lhotse Face being vertical). And yes, almost everything was about death. I suppose it wasn't a good idea to tell my parents about the show, because I want to get in to climbing, but oh well. :shock:

kozman18

by kozman18 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:04 pm

I'd like to see a series just about the Sherpas -- where they live, how they interact with the clients, how their families feel about their work, and climbing sequences showing how they put up the fixed ropes that facilitate the rest of the climbers (and save the bacon or more than a few). That would be far more interesting that the repetitive footage of well-to-do climbers attempting what the Sherpas do for a living.

Cascade Scrambler

by Cascade Scrambler » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:06 am

mountainzguy wrote:
RickandRhonda wrote:I wish they had focused a little more in IMG this season.

The three episodes on Sunday were focused on IMG. The two yesterday were on Himalayan Experience.

They made it sound like everyone who goes to everest goes with IMG or Himex. It did sort of seem like an infomercial.

All in all I thought it was O.K. Cool scenery and clips of climbing. A TON of over exaggeration though (like Lhotse Face being vertical). And yes, almost everything was about death. I suppose it wasn't a good idea to tell my parents about the show, because I want to get in to climbing, but oh well. :shock:

I know, I watched all five episodes. Instead of doing the 3 IMG/2 Himex episodes with sprinkles of the other team, I wish it had been edited differently. That was my point.

Alan Arnette

by Alan Arnette » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:12 am

kozman18 wrote:I'd like to see a series just about the Sherpas -- where they live, how they interact with the clients, how their families feel about their work, and climbing sequences showing how they put up the fixed ropes that facilitate the rest of the climbers (and save the bacon or more than a few). That would be far more interesting that the repetitive footage of well-to-do climbers attempting what the Sherpas do for a living.

You might be interested in this documentary focusing exclusively on Sherpas and their training for climbing. http://tinyurl.com/ybntwdd

kozman18

by kozman18 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:35 am

The documentary looks really interesting -- I'll watch it over the weekend. Thanks for the link.

kozman18

by kozman18 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:36 am

The documentary looks really interesting -- I'll watch it over the weekend. Thanks for the link.

TimApNy

by TimApNy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:48 am

My wife tried to make me promise I'd never try to climb Everest. While I can't say I have a desire to, I could not do it (I mean what if someone bought my way, how could I say no?).

The Parking Garage video was great! My wife thought it was very funny also.

195 is my guess.

Tim

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 am

I finally watched it a few days ago. It was cool to see the scenery and what each section of Everest looks like. The over use of deathzone, everything being the deadliest part, lhotse face being vertical, and no sherpa love til the end was annoying. I would like to see em try without supplementary oxygen. They said cardiac arrest a lot to on the one I saw.

PreviousNext

Return to General