discovery channel everest 2009

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:27 am

I am not... he was one of the guiding companies there but they all should be held to the same moral responsibility. Russell Brice is just notable because he fired a guide that did speak out against the killings.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:02 am

didn't just read it in the news other wise I wouldn't make such a claim. I have discussed it directly with people there that witnessed the events unfold and did speak up. I didn't imply that Russell Brice throw snowballs at the troops. That is foolish and absurd, but not doing anything after the fact is down right unacceptable and should be brought to everyones attention.
The death was that of young David Sharp, this account has been mixed up many times, but the jist of it is that climbers on Russell Brice's teams passed by the dying man twice on one of the seasons of Everest Discovery Channel, you can actually watch it for yourself. Sir Edmond Hillary even scolds the climbers for their poor reaction instead climbing past the climber, where has peoples sense of compassion gone, is it really about the summit or someones life. While it puts others in danger it really isn't a choice just to leave someone to die. I don't know about other people here, but I would sacrifice anything to save someone else, climbing is just a hobby, someones life is not something to be looked at casually!

drpw

by drpw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 am

Edit: I don't care strongly enough about this to say anything.
Last edited by drpw on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:21 pm

edit
Last edited by Damien Gildea on Tue May 18, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefsek

by Nefsek » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:05 pm

jonesa37 wrote:didn't just read it in the news other wise I wouldn't make such a claim. I have discussed it directly with people there that witnessed the events unfold and did speak up. I didn't imply that Russell Brice throw snowballs at the troops. That is foolish and absurd, but not doing anything after the fact is down right unacceptable and should be brought to everyones attention.
The death was that of young David Sharp, this account has been mixed up many times, but the jist of it is that climbers on Russell Brice's teams passed by the dying man twice on one of the seasons of Everest Discovery Channel, you can actually watch it for yourself. Sir Edmond Hillary even scolds the climbers for their poor reaction instead climbing past the climber, where has peoples sense of compassion gone, is it really about the summit or someones life. While it puts others in danger it really isn't a choice just to leave someone to die. I don't know about other people here, but I would sacrifice anything to save someone else, climbing is just a hobby, someones life is not something to be looked at casually!

Many people passed by David Sharp. Himex guides/sherpas attempted to revive him. Brice later took care of his personal affairs after the death, personally called and informed his next of kin, and even sat with Sharp's parents for four hours explaining to them what happened.

Perhaps lashing out in poorly written diatribes based on half truths gleaned from third or fourth hand sources, or the journalistic mockery that is the internet isn't the best way to go about debating a topic as complex as this incident. Especially when it revolves around such esoteric a topic as ethics and morality in the high ranges.

radson

by radson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:41 pm

drpw wrote:I just don't understand the school of thought that dictates you don't help people because it could jeopardize your own safety. Pretty cowardly not to.

One of the most widely used adaptations is the addition of "DR" in front of "ABC", which stands for Danger and Response.[24] This refers to the guiding principle in first aid to protect yourself before attempting to help others, and then ascertaining that the patient is unresponsive before attempting to treat them, using systems such as AVPU or the Glasgow Coma Score. As the original initialism was originally devised for in-hospital use, this was not part of the original protocol.[25]

In some areas, the related SR ABC is used, with the S to mean Safety.[23]

drpw

by drpw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:51 pm

Edit: I don't care strongly enough about this to say anything.
Last edited by drpw on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Must be great to talk about how self-sacrificing you are while sitting in front of a keyboard. Unless you were there, You don't really know the situation. All that you're doing is blowing smoke to make yourself feel superior to the people that were there.

radson

by radson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:09 pm

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:58 pm

mconnell wrote:Must be great to talk about how self-sacrificing you are while sitting in front of a keyboard. Unless you were there, You don't really know the situation. All that you're doing is blowing smoke to make yourself feel superior to the people that were there.

haha dude sounds like your the one to make judgement as well... if things like this aren't disscussed in forms like this then, progess and changes may never come about. So all of you just keep on pretending like shit isn't going down let people keep dying, climb for your own selfish selves and enjoy.

radson

by radson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:14 pm

jonesa37 wrote:
mconnell wrote:Must be great to talk about how self-sacrificing you are while sitting in front of a keyboard. Unless you were there, You don't really know the situation. All that you're doing is blowing smoke to make yourself feel superior to the people that were there.

haha dude sounds like your the one to make judgement as well... if things like this aren't disscussed in forms like this then, progess and changes may never come about. So all of you just keep on pretending like shit isn't going down let people keep dying, climb for your own selfish selves and enjoy.

Interesting, progress and change is to slander someone for 'firing' someone that they didn't, not standing up to the chinese (care to let us know what you would have done) and accusing his guides of negligence for being unable to carry down an incapicated solo climber.(despite aiding about 10 different groups on the mountains)

Well done, you are a beacon of light for progress and change.

- on a side note, I am often curious why deaths on everest seem to capture so much more sanctimony than other 'iconic' mountains.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:28 pm

radson wrote:
jonesa37 wrote:

Interesting, progress and change is to slander someone for 'firing' someone that they didn't, not standing up to the chinese (care to let us know what you would have done) and accusing his guides of negligence for being unable to carry down an incapicated solo climber.(despite aiding about 10 different groups on the mountains)

Well done, you are a beacon of light for progress and change.

- on a side note, I am often curious why deaths on everest seem to capture so much more sanctimony than other 'iconic' mountains.

I already have said what I would have done in that situation... but it isn't what I would have done, but what needs to be done now is to get this out, let people know what is going on. And to take support away from people who don't act when witnessing atrocities to humanity.

I am acusing Brice for inaction, he is the leader of a guiding service he has the capabilities of acting, in getting other guiding services to help out. He knew about the climber and did very little to help the climber. What is it going to take for people to help their fellow climber?

Other "iconic" mountains just don't have the sheer volume of people or the presitge that everest holds, but leaving someone to die on any mountain is just absurd whether its a local peak in where you live or in the high himalyas.

I apprechiate the fact that you call me a beacon of light for progress and change!

radson

by radson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:49 pm

Just some quick points

Everest Guides like Dave Hahn, Dan Mazur, Phil Crampton, Wille Benegas and the Himex guides and sherpas etc etc have ben involved in numerous rescues over the years without fame or fanfare.

Also despite what you may have gleaned from watching an episode on Discovery Channel, Brice does not run Everest or Cho Oyu Tibet. The fact that he is not running trips to Everest Tibet any more is testament to that.

I don't have the stats in front of me but you have rocks in your head if you think Everest has more climbers on a yearly basis than mountains like Kilimanjaro, Aconcagua, Rainier, Mt Blanc, matterhorn, Denali etc.

Lastly, climbing solo is undoubtably much more hazardous than climbing with a partner or group. If you choose to climb solo, you also choose to increase your risk by a substantive degree.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:44 am

radson wrote:Just some quick points

Everest Guides like Dave Hahn, Dan Mazur, Phil Crampton, Wille Benegas and the Himex guides and sherpas etc etc have ben involved in numerous rescues over the years without fame or fanfare.

Also despite what you may have gleaned from watching an episode on Discovery Channel, Brice does not run Everest or Cho Oyu Tibet. The fact that he is not running trips to Everest Tibet any more is testament to that.

I don't have the stats in front of me but you have rocks in your head if you think Everest has more climbers on a yearly basis than mountains like Kilimanjaro, Aconcagua, Rainier, Mt Blanc, matterhorn, Denali etc.

Lastly, climbing solo is undoubtably much more hazardous than climbing with a partner or group. If you choose to climb solo, you also choose to increase your risk by a substantive degree.

That's great that all of those guides and sherpas have lent a hand to climbers in need which merits reconnection for their efforts. I hope they serve as a symbol for other climbers as well!

Of course Rainer has more people that summit each year as well as the other mountains you listed, but the public spotlight remains on Everest so more media coverage. But yes I do have rocks in my head I am a geologist...

Solo climbing, or any climbing doesn't excuse someone to pass over that person in need. Climbing solo is very dangerous I wouldn't do it, but some choose to I am not going to hold it against them if they need to be rescued.

Again while Brice might not be the man in charge on Everest he does have some pull with other services as well as his own resources to in-act some rescue operations. Haha I enjoy the fact that you believe that all my facts are gathered from what I watched on this show... which isn't in the least bit true

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:09 am

edit
Last edited by Damien Gildea on Tue May 18, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Return to General