Do you ever use a backpack with an external frame?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
builttospill

Do you ever use a backpack with an external frame?

by builttospill » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:45 am

I don't own a truly big backpack. The biggest I've got is probably not much bigger than 50 liters. I took it into the Bugaboos last year for 7 or 8 days and with some creative lashing it worked perfectly. It was big enough, but I couldn't have fit another item or day's worth of food in or on the thing. Which makes me think I might need a bigger backpack at some point in the future.

It was nice having that pack since, once emptied and cinched down it functioned great as my day pack for climbing. But I'm sure there will be a time when I need something bigger.

I've got an old external frame behemoth at my parent's house that has been collecting dust for 10 years. It seems big enough to handle anything.....but something tells me that I should invest in a better-quality, newer, internal-frame pack instead. Saving the money would be nice, and it wasn't a bad backpack to begin with (and really isn't that old, and barely used).

So.....for hauling decent-sized loads into the wilderness, would you consider using an old external frame pack, or would you spring for a new one? Taking into account my financial status which is best described as "broke."

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am

I still see external-frame packs being used -- saw a new-looking one just two days ago.

I used them from 1968 to 1995. The main problems I had with them: 1) they stick up a lot, and tend to catch on every low-hanging branch (was once flipped upside-down while BC skiing), and 2) most were built before there were really good belt suspension systems, so they are a bit uncomfortable, compared to modern packs.

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 pm

I've got one that I bought in 1973 and used to hitch hike to South America (man, those were the days). I keep it as a family heirloom. I don't know anything about how external frame backpacks have evolved, but I can't imagine that you'd be real pleased with it's performance.

dirth

by dirth » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Saw a guy last week doing the AT (North to South) using an external frame pack. Didn't look new, but didn't look ancient. He had made it 500 miles or so thus far and appeared as though he was still alive.

The caretakers at the AMC huts still use "external frame packs" to carry food and supplies up to the huts. Although these more closely resemble a dolly packed with boxes strapped to their backs. For large loads like these this appears to be a good setup, otherwise they wouldn't still be using them because they have to make those trips every day with supplies.

no avatar
Edgewood

by Edgewood » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:44 pm

I'm selling my old North Face pack as I haven't used it in twenty years. I mostly only see boy scouts with them now. Try yours out just for kicks but for any kind of scrambling remember ,if you twist one way it goes the other unlike a internal frame pack.

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Edgewood wrote:I'm selling my old North Face pack as I haven't used it in twenty years. I mostly only see boy scouts with them now. Try yours out just for kicks but for any kind of scrambling remember ,if you twist one way it goes the other unlike a internal frame pack.

Hmm, I wonder if your North face is the similar to what I used to have?
Can't remember the name, but, the suspension was really good. Had this little pivoting piece built attached to the waistbelt from the frame. They called it,(the suspension), the "backmagic."
Now, I've since had many internals, which have mostly been ok to very good, but that ol' north face was very good: comfortable with heavy loads. Didn't move with you quite the way an internal does, but, I also used it mostly on trails and it was fine.

To the Op: if budget is a problem, forget (for now), about buying a new internal and drag that one out, dust it off, and go, especially if its in the condition you describe. Probably be fine. Externals are not as good as internals for off-route travel, scrambling or climbing, but for trails, I think you'll find that it works well. Good luck.

rpc

by rpc » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm

I don't get it - you have a pack, it's functional & suitable & you have no money for a new one? where is the question part?

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Dana Designs makes (or at least was making up until about 2005, when I got out of the outdoor retail industry) some hybrid-externals that were amazing and could carry huge loads quite comfortably. Generally speaking however, most current externals are low-end Jansports and Keltys and are marketed to the lower end consumer.

You would be best advised to stick with an internal for multi-day trips in the Bugs.

Maybe learn to pack lighter to make do with your current pack?

Better yet, instead of a vaguely worded advice request, post a "Wanted" ad here in the Gear forum. There's no doubt in my mind that plenty of SP'ers have unused packs just lying around at the bottom of the closet and would be happy to sell cheaply.

As an example: "Looking to buy a ~60L internal frame pack. It can be used, but not abused. Please let me know what you've got, your asking price, and send some pictures. Thanks!"

Works every time I've ever needed gear on the cheap.

no avatar
Edgewood

by Edgewood » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:11 pm

The North Face Black Magic indeed. It was comfortable and you could pack alot in it. I decided I didn't want to carry that much stuff as a internal pack forces one to pack lighter. Now you got me second guessing myself about selling it. If I can't sell it for thirty bucks at my moving sale this weekend maybe..............

builttospill

by builttospill » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:00 pm

rpc wrote:I don't get it - you have a pack, it's functional & suitable & you have no money for a new one? where is the question part?

Yeah, my original post was pretty unclear--sorry about that. I don't have any big trips planned, so I wouldn't need a new pack for awhile. I'm willing to scrounge and save to buy one in the near-to-mid-term future, if it seems necessary.

I'm moving and I was trying to clear out any crap remaining at my parents house before I left the state, and that pack came up. Wasn't sure whether I should give it away or keep it and I won't have a chance to take it for a walk before I leave to see whether it really works very well.

I included the "I'm broke" part not because I'm literally broke, but because I wanted to make clear that money was a consideration......

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:28 pm

Edgewood wrote:The North Face Black Magic indeed. It was comfortable and you could pack alot in it. I decided I didn't want to carry that much stuff as a internal pack forces one to pack lighter. Now you got me second guessing myself about selling it. If I can't sell it for thirty bucks at my moving sale this weekend maybe..............

I bought a NF Back Magic in 1980. Used it heavily through 1990 or so. Still have it and will use it on rare trips. For trail hiking with a heavy load (like hauling lots of stuff when taking the kids out), it carries the weight better (off my shoulders) for me than my Mountainsmith internal pack.

phydeux

by phydeux » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:13 am

I bought a Camp Trails external frame backpack around 1980 and still use it quite often. For multi-day summer hiking in Southern California on trails, or mild off-trail, its great since it rides off my back and makes things a lot cooler. Its also easier to get it adjusted correctly compared to internal frame packs (and I've had a few of those in the last 30 years!).

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:02 am

I used external frame packs as a kid in the 70s and early 80s and still have one of them; haven't used it much lately but can't bear to throw it away. The key to whether the external frame will work is what kind of wilderness you are planning on hauling the loads into. My external frame is arguably more comfortable for carrying a heavy load on a good trail than my biggest internal frame pack (which is an Arcteryx Bora, a very comfy pack), if only because there is more space and air flow between the pack and my body with the external frame pack. Where the internal frame pack really shines is on more rugged terrain. Because the weight is farther from my back in the external pack it is more likely to throw me off balance than the internal frame pack when boulder hopping or doing class 3+ climbing.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:22 pm

JHH60 wrote:I used external frame packs as a kid in the 70s and early 80s and still have one of them; haven't used it much lately but can't bear to throw it away. The key to whether the external frame will work is what kind of wilderness you are planning on hauling the loads into. My external frame is arguably more comfortable for carrying a heavy load on a good trail than my biggest internal frame pack (which is an Arcteryx Bora, a very comfy pack), if only because there is more space and air flow between the pack and my body with the external frame pack. Where the internal frame pack really shines is on more rugged terrain. Because the weight is farther from my back in the external pack it is more likely to throw me off balance than the internal frame pack when boulder hopping or doing class 3+ climbing.

That pretty much sums up the pros/cons of external vs. internal.

Curt

by Curt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:40 pm

As others have said, an external frame pack is not the best choice for scrambling when balance is an issue. Also, in heavy bushwhacking, you will curse a lot more if using an external frame pack than you otherwise might. Apart from that, external frame packs typically carry big loads better than internal frame packs. It's obvious why climbers prefer internal frame packs, but the fact that external frames have fallen out of favor with backpackers has a lot more to do with marketing than with function.

Next

Return to Gear