Early Warning on Petzl Nomics and Ergos

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Dow Williams

Re: Early Warning on Petzl Nomics and Ergos

by Dow Williams » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:57 pm

knoback wrote:It's always something isn't it? Mine are not on the verge of failure, so I think the 'even a single use' thing is over the top. However there are some changes there. There is a black crust of aluminum oxide where the tooth on the pinkie rest meshes - so is this corrosion due to the two different metals in contact or wear? I'm going to try some axle grease until petzl comes up with something. Thanks again for the heads-up.

That is what it sounds like. You definitely want this fixed eventually. I am sure Petzl will address it soon. You can bolt it I guess???, but only in the largest grip position. I bet you will be able to send these in for a fix before the year is out. Just keep an old pair of tools laying around. This is a real liability issue and they have no choice but to fix it.

Dow Williams

Re: Early Warning on Petzl Nomics and Ergos

by Dow Williams » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:43 pm

It is now official, a world of thanks to Dane and company for catching this early... out in the field....obviously something their pros failed to catch on their own. Petzl will stop all production until next fall. Folks like Knoback who did happen to buy the new models, can get an easy "season" fix and will get new tools next fall.

Return to Gear