Mts of East Central and SE Europe

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
visentin

by visentin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:31 am

yatsek wrote:Probably "p" is correct also (in English)

Which explains that the Google translated P escaped my attention ;)
yatsek wrote:The map is very interesting - it may explain why Janosik is so popular with the Polish Gorals as well. But the problem is "Lengyel" is incomprehensible to non-Hungarians. So Eric, do you think you could attach a mini-dictionary :?:

I looked for a similar Hungarian map of the 18th following Peter's remark, but I didn't find any as precise as his. I'll continue to search.
yatsek wrote:Now comments on a few lines (in italics)
We are in the early eighteenth century in a buffer zone between the Duchy of Galicia,
There was no "Duchy of Galicia" in the 1st half of C18.

How to call it then ? "Austrian part" ?
Have a look at this map :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rzecz ... iory_3.png
yatsek wrote:he eventually founded his band of mercenaries, called Harnas
"harnas" refers to a person and means kind of "commander/chieftain"

I have read that Harnas was the name of the band but can't remember where, I think it was some Wikipedia page. I know that harnas is also the name given to what you describes. In that case what was Janosik's band name ?
yatsek wrote:Galicia is also released and joins Poland in 1921
This sounds awkward. In the east there was a civil war, between the Polish and the Ukrainian troops, which ended with a deal - the Ukrainians give up Galicia in exchange for help in freeing Ukraine from the Soviets/Russians. (Later the representatives of the Polish parliament betrayed the Ukrainians by signing a Treaty of Riga.)
So perhaps, e.g.: "Galicia becomes part of Poland again."

Agreed :)
yatsek wrote:While Polish Janosik wears the typical Górale high cap
1 "hat", not a "cap"
2 It's not part of the typical outfit of ordinary Gorals

I have been searching long what is the name of this sort of hat. In french "toque" is the most ressembling thing and I found the closest equivalent in english is "Cap", but this word doesn't satisfy me as well. I'm sure you know the real name of it and the origin and meaning of this hat, so please :)
yatsek wrote:Polish-Hungarian-Slovak coproduction
Polish-Czech-Slovak, probably not Hungarian this time.

Are you sure ? I have read it somewhere too (Google news) but you put the doubt again in my mind :)

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 am

We are in the early eighteenth century in a buffer zone between the Duchy of Galicia,
There was no "Duchy of Galicia" in the 1st half of C18.
How to call it then ? "Austrian part" ?

No way - too early. It could read "We are in the early eighteenth century in a buffer zone between Poland (or rather the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) and Hungary."

BTW Two clicks and you can find the French connection as well :D

I have been searching long what is the name of this sort of hat. In french "toque" is the most ressembling thing and I found the closest equivalent in english is "Cap", but this word doesn't satisfy me as well. I'm sure you know the real name of it and the origin and meaning of this hat, so please :)

I guess the Hungarians should know better. :)

Polish-Hungarian-Slovak coproduction
Polish-Czech-Slovak, probably not Hungarian this time.
Are you sure ? I have read it somewhere too (Google news) but you put the doubt again in my mind :)

No, I'm not sure.

visentin

by visentin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm waiting for the hungarian hat name and possibly Janosik's band name to make the update :)

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:27 pm

visentin wrote:I'm waiting for the hungarian hat name and possibly Janosik's band name to make the update :)

Have you read this text? Pity it's in Polish. No answers to your questions but lots of valuable info - neither pro- nor anti-Janosik. BTW I think more pix of the area will do, e.g. Strecno, the Vah, Liptov. As to the tall hat, I've found out Janosik couldn't wear it - the early C18 seems too early for the tall hat too.

peterbud

by peterbud » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:41 pm

yatsek wrote:It could read "We are in the early eighteenth century in a buffer zone between Poland (or rather the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) and Hungary."

Are you sure "buffer zone" is the correct word?

Hat-wise... I'm sorry but cannot give you clues. Neither map-wise, this was the best I could find (on the net) so probably it's a waste of time to dig deeper and deeper.

p/b > I'd say 'b' is the correct form

beterpud :lol:

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 pm

peterbud wrote:Are you sure "buffer zone" is the correct word?

p/b > I'd say 'b' is the correct form
beterpud :lol:

I'd be in favour of "just south of the old Poland-Hungary border"

betterput :lol: :lol:

peterbud

by peterbud » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:27 pm

yatsek wrote:I'd be in favour of "just south of the old Poland-Hungary border"

Correct.

yatsek wrote:betterput :lol: :lol:

Ok I see the "p" version is also viable in English (although not exclusively), but I think the German form is more appropriate in the case of a German/Austrian family.

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:00 pm

OK BTW Do you pronounce the cz in Rakoczi the way we do in Poland, i.e. in the same way as the Hungarian cs?

peterbud

by peterbud » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Of course not! :lol:
It's the old-time way of writing what's today simply written "c".
So you'd have been Jaczek back then :wink:

yatsek wrote:OK BTW Do you pronounce the cz in Rakoczi the way we do in Poland, i.e. in the same way as the Hungarian cs?

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 pm

peterbud wrote:Of course not! :lol:
It's the old-time way of writing what's today simply written "c".
So you'd have been Jaczek back then :wink:

So the "z" is actually silent just like the 2nd "h" in my surname. I thought English spelling was the funniest. :lol:

peterbud

by peterbud » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:52 am

yatsek wrote:So the "z" is actually silent just like the 2nd "h" in my surname.

Exactly :)

yatsek wrote:I thought English spelling was the funniest. :lol:

No way :lol: (btw, the "cs" you guessed was written as "ch" or "ts" in the old times - and is still written like that in specific family names).

visentin

by visentin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:03 am

yatsek wrote:Have you read this text? Pity it's in Polish. No answers to your questions but lots of valuable info - neither pro- nor anti-Janosik. BTW I think more pix of the area will do, e.g. Strecno, the Vah, Liptov. As to the tall hat, I've found out Janosik couldn't wear it - the early C18 seems too early for the tall hat too.

I've seen it before, but read it across very quickly (I do read Polish despite I don't understand all words :) ) Btw it is mentionned about a conflict of historians about this famous hat. Is it the hat we're talking about ?

yatsek wrote:OK BTW Do you pronounce the cz in Rakoczi the way we do in Poland, i.e. in the same way as the Hungarian cs?

A long long time ago when I was an erasmus student I had a gf from Szeged and I know a couple of things about Hungarian. The pronunciation is the total opposite than Polish.
Sz is pronunced "S", so the town name is said "Seged"
Additionally, in her familly name was a "s" syllabe, which is pronunced "sz" (PL) or "sh", (EN), as well as a "cz", which, exceptionally, is said like in Polish ("tsh" in EN). The "C" as far as I remember is said "ts". I remember that they used to call cats "cica" (tsitsa) and I found it lovely word for a cat.
As for Rákóczi I think the pronunciation does not vary much (Rakotshi)
But the biggest shame is the way we pronounce my native country's president name :
Which "we" (us) should say "Charkozy" (sharkozy in EN) :D
p.s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_alphabet

visentin

by visentin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:45 am

p.s: looking for the hungarian name of Rozsutec as well as the german ones for the lattest and Krivan

peterbud

by peterbud » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:44 am

- yes, the s/sz is the pronounced the opposite way in PL/HU
- as for "cz", in Hungarian it is always "ts", so Rákóczi is "Ruh-kauh-tsee"
- I also like the word "cica" :)
- Sárközy: yep, that was a tough choice, lingustically speaking (should be pronounced sg like "Charkeuzy" in French)

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:15 am

To Eric,
This Slovak-Magyar row was over the hat which can be seen in the museum in Ruzomberok now. I bet it looks like the one in the new film by A. Holland. The tall hat is kind of non-wood Witkiewicz (or rather probably Skoczylas) invention.

To Peter,
If you haven't yet, try and read the very first line at the top of (i.e. above) the text mentioned above. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Europe