Etiwanda / Cucamonga via Joe Elliot Trail

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
brichardsson

Etiwanda / Cucamonga via Joe Elliot Trail

by brichardsson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Has anyone been up the Joe Elliot Trail to Etiwanda and Cucamonga Peaks recently? I am trying to confirm that the road is open up to the Memorial (which I have been told it is by mulitple sources).

The Ranger Station is absolutely no help. I called the Ranger Station and interrupted the Ranger with my questions about stupid and unimportant things like, you know, getting a permit, and how far up the road can I drive. First she told me the road was closed, :( then she told me it was open, :) then she told me it was only open part way, :? and then she told me she didn't know what I was talking about and would try to find out. :shock:

I would really, really like to do this hike/route since the road itself is normally only open for three months out of the year, but the hike is already 14-15 miles, and I don't feel like showing up bright and early on Saturday only to find out that I have to add 4-6 additional miles (or more) due to locked gates!!
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

Mark M

Re: Etiwanda / Cucamonga via Joe Elliot Trail

by Mark M » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:42 am

It is likley open. They only open it in the fall for hunting and then close it after the first good storm. I drove it last year to the saddle approx. 1.5 miles east of the memorial. I was only going to Buck Point so I didn't try and drive any further, but I think you could. So you can drive at least that far.

The Lytle Creek Ranger station is the worst of the bunch.

The following user would like to thank Mark M for this post
brichardsson

norco17

by norco17 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 pm

hvydrt wrote:The Lytle Creek Ranger station is the worst of the bunch.

+1

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:54 pm

hvydrt wrote:It is likley open. They only open it in the fall for hunting and then close it after the first good storm. I drove it last year to the saddle approx. 1.5 miles east of the memorial. I was only going to Buck Point so I didn't try and drive any further, but I think you could. So you can drive at least that far.

Sadly, it turns out this is not the case, so I guess I have to wait until next year. Apparently, per the Ranger, the road in has been closed due to "fire danger". But I do appreciate the feedback.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

Return to California