Cucamonga Wilderness Question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
SurfinPeakScience

Cucamonga Wilderness Question

by SurfinPeakScience » Wed May 11, 2011 1:37 am

Which is a better weekend backpacking trip: Icehouse Saddle to the 3 T's Trail to Timber and Telegraph Peaks or Icehouse Saddle to Cucamonga and Ontario Peaks?

Also, is anyone aware of the snow conditions up there right now?

Thanks!

no avatar
GreenMountainBoy

Re: Cucamonga Wilderness Question

by GreenMountainBoy » Wed May 11, 2011 3:59 am

I would say those are more dayhikes than weekend trips, that said Cedar Flats is a nice little spot for an overnight. You could do the 3 T's and then take the Chapman Trail back and overnight in Cedar Flats. Little to no snow left with the exception of a few spots between Telegraph and Thunder. I'm heading to do the Big Baldy loop tomorrow and will provide some more detailed info for you.

The following user would like to thank GreenMountainBoy for this post
SurfinPeakScience

SurfinPeakScience

by SurfinPeakScience » Wed May 11, 2011 3:43 pm

I appreciate the info!

After looking over the map, im planning to do the 3 T's one day and Cucamonga the next.

outdoorabstract

by outdoorabstract » Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 pm

GreenMountainBoy wrote: I'm heading to do the Big Baldy loop tomorrow and will provide some more detailed info for you.

We're going to do part of that loop backwards in a few days so your timely report will be helpful. Thanks!

Deb

by Deb » Wed May 11, 2011 7:28 pm

SurfinPeakScience wrote:I appreciate the info!

After looking over the map, im planning to do the 3 T's one day and Cucamonga the next.

Good choice; no reason to spend the night up there for a dayhike. I ran most of the 3 T's trail a couple of years ago in October.
While hitting up Cucamonga, go ahead and make a real day out of it and tag Etiwanda, Bighorn and Ontario. Dave and I did this one windy ass day just before a snow storm - 9 hrs car to car (we had a headwind). :roll:

Muddeer

by Muddeer » Wed May 11, 2011 8:41 pm

In case you didn't already know, there's no water source on that ridge other than Columbine Spring below the saddle (and any snow you may run into). The spring at Kelly's Camp is still dry I believe. Hope you run into some big horn sheep like I did last fall (on Ontario-Big Horn ridge).

no avatar
GreenMountainBoy

by GreenMountainBoy » Thu May 12, 2011 7:47 pm

was just there yesterday, snow is almost entirely gone. still some in the notch between Thunder and Telegraph as expected, very easily avoided.

outdoorabstract, the route is in great shape. you'll find some snow on the upper reaches of the bear canyon trail beneath westy baldy that is unavoidable but very easily travelled. no gear necessary at this time....i don't envy you descending bear canyon, i typically avoid that descent route at all costs!

outdoorabstract

by outdoorabstract » Thu May 12, 2011 10:21 pm

GreenMountainBoy wrote: i typically avoid that descent route at all costs!

Just thinking about descending that way makes my knee hurt. We're actually doing just part of it with a car shuttle. I figured there might be snow north of the 3Ts on the east facing slopes...

simonov

by simonov » Fri May 13, 2011 2:49 am

Kelly's Camp is one of the prettiest little trail camps in the San Gabriels. I love sleeping there. These days you have to carry your water up from Columbine Spring.

The spring at Kelly's isn't dry, it's just that the box well is filled or collapsed. There's a small muddy puddle of water pretty much all the time. I understand this is the only open water source for the large animals at the upper elevations of Ontario Peak (which is why it is so common to see deer and sheep near the camp), so don't try to suck it all up with your filter pump. Carry water up from Columbine.

Ontario Peak is a relatively short and easy climb up from Kelly's Camp. It's a strangely beautiful landscape up there.

Nunc est bibendum.

Return to California