Finding myself Increasingly less Able to Contribute

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Josh Lewis

Finding myself Increasingly less Able to Contribute

by Josh Lewis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:29 am

It's kinda strange to say, but I been finding myself less able to contribute to SummitPost as much as I would like to. I have tons of free time on my hands. :wink: Now here are the main reasons:
1. My partner(s) want the Page. Understandable, but inconvenient.
2. My partner(s) are wanting the trip report(s) of places I'm going to. This is why my featured trip report has a big whole in the story on day 3. :wink:
3. The page for most of the peaks I climb are already taken. :x
4. I'm climbing so much that I don't have the time. :lol: Although now my time is freeing up.

I admit I still have potential for submitting things, but in some ways I feel limited. Yesterday was the best rock climb I've ever done but I cannot post the trip report. :? I'm sure other SP members run into this problem.

(Point #4 is 100% my fault. 8) )

Andrew Rankine

Re: Finding myself Increasingly less Able to Contribute

by Andrew Rankine » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:59 pm

For me, the biggest problem is the amount of time it takes to post pictures in a page... I don't think I am alone when I say that the pictures in TR's are just as important as the words. If there were a way to download all the images for a TR at once instead of individual uploads I would have a lot more up here, because it would take substantially less time.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Are you talking about uploading pictures? The bulk uploader fixed this issue for me a long time ago:
http://www.summitpost.org/summitpost-bu ... der/488357

However, you still gotta format the photos in the trip report itself which takes time. Especially on mountain pages if your looking for the best pictures and you have hundreds of images to go though. But in the end it looks very nice. 8)

EricChu

by EricChu » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:14 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Are you talking about uploading pictures? The bulk uploader fixed this issue for me a long time ago:
http://www.summitpost.org/summitpost-bu ... der/488357

However, you still gotta format the photos in the trip report itself which takes time. Especially on mountain pages if your looking for the best pictures and you have hundreds of images to go though. But in the end it looks very nice. 8)
Yes, but the problem is, this bulk uploader only functions on Windows. As I use Mac, I still have to upload the pics one by one as well.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:29 am

Forgot about that issue. :? A buddy of mine had the same problem. This is why SP needs a multi upload interface on the page itself.

mountainsandsound

by mountainsandsound » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:27 am

Just curious, do you have a job Josh? I keep seeing your trip reports and thinking you must be a college student whose parents don't insist on you having a summer job or internship. Ahh the college years.

Andrew Rankine

by Andrew Rankine » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:36 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Forgot about that issue. :? A buddy of mine had the same problem. This is why SP needs a multi upload interface on the page itself.

Exactly. I'm a Mac user. I like the cascadeclimbers.com uploader, but what would be ideal is an uploader like facebook.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:38 am

My parents didn't know where to send me, so I enlisted in the military service for six years.

Boy, did that SUCK !

:evil:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

myles

by myles » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:13 pm

There's always Off Route!

Norman

by Norman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:06 pm

Maybe we could learm from CC trip reports, short, few pics and abbreviated comments on trip. I enjoy the trip reports many post, but they're either really good at the computer or have lots of time. Just post a story line and attach photos at end with comments uner each photo. Doesn't have to be too time consuming and we all get to see what each other has done...which is great short reading. don't burn out on trip reports trying to make them too involved. I like the short ones as much as any...

TimB

by TimB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:09 pm

anita wrote:
Josh Lewis wrote:4. I'm climbing so much that I don't have the time. :lol: Although now my time is freeing up.

good for you Josh! enjoy it while you can, before 'life happens'. but you're still young so you have time.
I for one really enjoy your reports and adventures. it's been fun watching you over the years. it's really quite impressive!
so even if you don't contribute mountain/route pages anymore, as long as you find the time to post some pics and quick write ups, I'll be happy 8)

+1!

Stick around Josh, I like reading your reports and seeing your photos.

Tim

The following user would like to thank TimB for this post
Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:18 pm

@ Norman: I have a hard time writing mini reports. I've tried it last week or so but had to give up because it's completely against my style. :lol: :wink: But coming up I may post a "mini" report but with tons of eye candy of course. 8) I admit that part of it is because my goal is to make SP as awesome as possible by making it so people have to look else where as much as possible.

@ Tim: Thanks for the encouragement, I still have some amazing trips unposted. This summer was the second best summer of my life.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:43 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:It's kinda strange to say, but I been finding myself less able to contribute to SummitPost as much as I would like to. I have tons of free time on my hands. :wink: Now here are the main reasons:
1. My partner(s) want the Page. Understandable, but inconvenient.
2. My partner(s) are wanting the trip report(s) of places I'm going to. This is why my featured trip report has a big whole in the story on day 3. :wink:
3. The page for most of the peaks I climb are already taken. :x
4. I'm climbing so much that I don't have the time. :lol: Although now my time is freeing up.

I admit I still have potential for submitting things, but in some ways I feel limited. Yesterday was the best rock climb I've ever done but I cannot post the trip report. :? I'm sure other SP members run into this problem.

(Point #4 is 100% my fault. 8) )

Just because a page is already taken doen't mean you can't contribute. You can add photos, routes, trip reports. You can also e-mail the owner with suggestions or corrections.

Also, if the pages for the peaks you climb are taken, maybe you could find some new peaks to climb.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:02 pm

I already contribute photos to pages. If you look at my profile in less than 2 years I have posted over 3,000 pictures. :) As for routes, I guess it's sometimes debatable whether it's fair for me to put up a route page on a already described route that is in the main description. But sometimes they don't do the job the page deserves. :wink:

As for the corrections, sometimes this works. :) But other times I get no response or a "naaaa... page is gudd enouh" (ok, so maybe not with that bad of spelling).

As for climbing new peaks, I've done this quite a bit which often times the people I do that with want the page! :twisted: Every now and then I get out lucky. :wink: But I do know of some peaks that are not here on SP. At least in some way or form I can contribute, but I gotta admit if I joined here back in 2001, boy would I be a posting monster. :D :lol: I suppose I could still be a posting monster.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 pm

I kind of have the same problem...since I climb with Josh so often, I am the one taking his pages :twisted:
He takes some of mine though as well so we have a mutual agreement!

I am climbing so much these days I often can't find the time to post TR's...especially the ones about my month long trips

Next

Return to General