Fitness Benchmarks for Denali

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Aarongblack

Re: Fitness Benchmarks for Denali

by Aarongblack » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:24 pm

I'm always looking for new opportunities out west, even applied for a position in Alaska in the spring. I like the AA Institutes "expedition skills" course and agree, it would be better than the general alpine course, but unfortunately as a college professor (business/management) my climbing season is limited to late may through early August. That's another reason I wished I lived in a mountain city, so I could get out there on the weekends.

clmbr

by clmbr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Aarongblack wrote:...unfortunately ... my climbing season is limited to late may through early August.

Unfortunately??? Man, that’s the most pleasurable time for mountaineering! All routes are available and passable. The Cascades themselves provide diverse and unlimited challenges and types of adventures. Just get on the plain (or a car). I’ve been coming to the WA (and OR) Cascades just for that almost every year; simply, because I love it. Otherwise, I practice locally but still it takes me to the mountains 6-10 hours; so most of the time I just stay more or less physically active. It does not matter what you do as long as you like it and do it. If your training is too hard you may quit it. I’ve never specifically trained for any mountains (except climbing itself). I’m not a fast climber but strong enough (mentally) to get where I want to. “Time is not important; live is.” If you gain enough experience you would understand why; otherwise, follow the Alpine Style but don’t work too hard. Enjoy it! "Mountaineering is suffering" anyway. "Why suffer more?"

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Aarongblack wrote:I live in the midwest (St. Louis, moving to Springfield MO), and I hate that I can't train in the mountains, and that I'm stuck in the gym and rolling hills in the area. I think I'm going to do the 6 day Cascades training with Alpine Ascents next year, and then do some 14er's (Elbert etc.) in Colorado in March before Denali in June, for more snowy/winter weather climbing/camping/packing. I assume this will be the bare minimum in terms of actual mountain time, but again - midwesterner. Maybe I aspire to the wrong hobby.

I live near Springfield. You don't aspire to the wrong hobby. Just do the best you can with what you have.
You may consider looking into Mountain Athlete's Big Mountain Training Program. Or at the very least, shoot Rob an email, and he will gladly answer your questions. I've used his plans before and have achieved great results with them.
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"

Previous

Return to Technique and Training