Flashlight category missing from Gear collection?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Nooner

Flashlight category missing from Gear collection?

by Nooner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Hello. I'm a casual flashlight user, and have a couple that are touted as being useable for climbs and hikes. Not sure how many would survive one like you guys talk about. Most of them were gifts. I was browsing the Gear page, and saw a complete lack of flashlights. I can guess why that might be, but I'm curious to hear what the experienced people have to say about it.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Flashlight category missing from Gear collection?

by Scott » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:23 pm

I believe that it is because people usually climb with headlamps, not flashlights.

no avatar
Nooner

by Nooner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:39 pm

Scott wrote:I believe that it is because people usually climb with headlamps, not flashlights.

That is likely it, and I had guessed as much, but still. Hearing about it from people actually experienced can be better than just sitting here thinking I know the reason. Have you ever used a flashlight on a climb?

adventurer

by adventurer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:23 pm

Of course, Scott is right about the use of headlamps and I've always used one myself, however, I always carry a backup mini handheld flashlight as well.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Nooner wrote:
Scott wrote:I believe that it is because people usually climb with headlamps, not flashlights.

That is likely it, and I had guessed as much, but still. Hearing about it from people actually experienced can be better than just sitting here thinking I know the reason. Have you ever used a flashlight on a climb?

I had a tiny, one LED node flashlight the size of a quarter that could in an emergency be clipped to the bill of a cap and used as a headlamp. I carried that as an emergency backup to my normal headlamp. I also used it around camp to save the batteries of my other headlamp occasionally. I think a traditional hand held flash light would not be particularly useful for climbing/hiking/back packing.

no avatar
Nooner

by Nooner » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:52 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:
Nooner wrote:

I had a tiny, one LED node flashlight the size of a quarter that could in an emergency be clipped to the bill of a cap and used as a headlamp. I carried that as an emergency backup to my normal headlamp. I also used it around camp to save the batteries of my other headlamp occasionally. I think a traditional hand held flash light would not be particularly useful for climbing/hiking/back packing.

Why do you say that? I've used one of mine while dog walking and walking through a bit of woods around my house, and it has done well when I needed it. Aside from 18650s and 26650s making some of the better flashlights rather large, what would stop you from using a handheld light?

no avatar
eastcoastarmy

by eastcoastarmy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Nooner wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:
Nooner wrote:

Why do you say that? I've used one of mine while dog walking and walking through a bit of woods around my house, and it has done well when I needed it. Aside from 18650s and 26650s making some of the better flashlights rather large, what would stop you from using a handheld light?

^ Loosing the use of one of your hands... If you're hiking or climbing, the vast majority of the time your hands are doing something... Either holding your trekking poles are keeping you glued to the wall, holding your axe, ie.... They're not bad for use around camp or whatnot, but I personally carry my Tikka RXP headlamp and my little Black Diamond Moji light for the tent. If you have something small, it could be worth taking as a backup, but I don't take an extra flashlight anymore.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:59 pm

^ Loosing the use of one of your hands... If you're hiking or climbing, the vast majority of the time your hands are doing something... Either holding your trekking poles are keeping you glued to the wall, holding your axe, ie.... They're not bad for use around camp or whatnot, but I personally carry my Tikka RXP headlamp and my little Black Diamond Moji light for the tent. If you have something small, it could be worth taking as a backup, but I don't take an extra flashlight anymore.

Yes to the above.

A flashlight is good for car camping or maybe even night bathroom breaks on backpacking trips, but there is no point in using a flashlight over a headlamp when you are hiking or climbing.

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:08 pm

I remember flashlights...

Seriously, long ago when bulbs were incandescent and headlamps sucked, it was a good idea to use a flashlight most of the time. A headlamp was this enormous dish you wore on your forehead, with a wire leading to a battery pack on your waist. Heavy, bulky, fragile, expensive, and the battery didn't last all that long. Only use it if you have to. Flashlights weren't all that much better, but they were cheaper, easier to obtain, and simpler to use (e.g., find the damn power switch in a dark tent in the middle of the night).

Petzl introduced the Tikka in 2000 - this was a tiny, lightweight LED headlight powered by three AAA batteries. The LEDs made it brighter than many flashlights (LED flashlights were still a bit of a specialty item). You might still want to bring a flashlight or lantern with bigger batteries for extended use around camp, but from then on anything a flashlight can do, a headlamp can do too, and do it hands-free. Price was still an issue for a while, but now that you can get a great headlamp for around thirty dollars and a cheap one for ten, the price doesn't matter for most people who can afford the gas to get to the trailhead.

Nowadays my lighting gear consists entirely of headlamps - one all-around (usually a new-model Tikka), one with an extra-long-throw spotlight mode for route-finding (I'll sometimes hold this in my hand at the same time as I'm wearing my primary), one extra backup. I also use headlamps instead of flashlights around the house, and keep one in the glove compartment.

Tonka

by Tonka » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:51 pm

I don't even use flashlights at home any more, it's all headlamps, all the time. If I'm out at night walking, grilling, working on a car, bike or anything else, I use a headlamp. They're lighter, and a lot more convenient. Can't really think of a reason to have a flashlight over a headlamp though all those ads these days make me a bit intrigued with the little military flashlights.

no avatar
BigWas

by BigWas » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:23 pm

I also use headlamps :-)

Return to Gear